Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Radiator fans will only run when I take the low fan relay

Customer Question
(34 spot in PCM) out...
Radiator fans will only run when I take the low fan relay (34 spot in PCM) out. But they will not turn off as long as the car is running. The car overheated last night and come to find out the fans were not working. Went to check the relays and that is when they immediately came on after we removed the low fan relay. I went and bought a new relay and put it in and it still would not work correctly. But once again once I took the low fan relay back out the fans came on. It is a 2005 Dodge Stratus SXT L4 - 2.4L vin X 148ci 2429cc type EDZ - MFI GAS DOHC.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
10/21/2015
Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 2 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Do the cooling fans run with the AC turned on? Are there any codes in the computer?

If the cooling fans work when the AC is turned on, I would suspect a bad engine coolant temp sensor provided the cooling system is full of coolant and is working like normal. The PCM needs the engine coolant temp sensor input to turn on the cooling fans as needed. However, be sure to check the cooling system to be sure the coolant is full, there are no restrictions and that there are no air pockets which can throw off the readings from the engine coolant temp sensor. You might just find that the engine coolant is low.. If all checks out good, I would go after the engine coolant temp sensor next.

The ac does not work.
The codes are P0480, P0481 & P0685
We have not used the ac in about a year

I am glad I can help! Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today. It has been a pleasure working with you. Please let me know if you have any further questions!

Why am I getting a message saying to rate you when my question has not even been answered???

I did send over the answer explaining everything. Did you not get it?

Do you see the answer now?

You told me about if it works when my ac is on and I replied that my ac does NOT work and has not worked in the past year. Then you stated you SUSPECT the cooling temp sensor which still makes no sense as to why the fans will only turn on and stay on continuously when the relay for the low fan is taken out of the pcm. If it was the temp sensor why would the fans turn on at all and only when the low fan relay is out.
I also gave you the codes that it shows and you never even responded to any of that!! I have found out more by researching online myself than what you have given me.

I dont see any codes posted above.

Maybe we should speak on the phone

With the cooling fan relay removed, the cooling fans should not run. If they do, then you have a short in the cooling fan relay circuit or the cooling fan module assembly. IT is as simple as that.

I sent you a message at 11:11, 11:12 & 11:13

It did not come through on my end. Please send it again.

The ac does not work.
The codes are P0480, P0481 & P0685
Also, we have not used the ac in about a year

Thank you. Give me one minute..

Are you sure fuse 23 under the hood is good? A blown fuse 23 will set these codes

I will have to double check but would that cause the fan issue

If this happens with the key off, then I would stil suspect a short to power on the other circuit going to the fan relays. This comes from fuse 12 under the hood. It is a 40 amp fuse.

I sent over an offer. For only an extra $5, we can speak on the phone. Please feel free to accept my offer.

If what happens when the key is off??? Also, I know for sure that fuse 12 is good.

The cooling fans run with the key off when the low speed fan relay is removed.

Nothing runs when the key is off. It is only when the car is started

Ok, then yes, that makes more sense. YES, the cooling fan will run when the low speed fan relay is removed even if that fuse 23 is blown.

But that is the only way the cans will run is with the low speed fan relay removed. If the low speed fan relay is installed then the fans will not turn on at all.

Please check fuse 23

Well, what did we find?

Hello???? I cant help you unless you communicate with me

Hello!

It's Amedee from just answer. I am just checking in to see how things turned out and if you need further assistance. Please let me know.

Amedee

Hello!

Amedee

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician