Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Trying to fix gauges stopped working replaced the instrument

Customer Question
cluster didn't do the trick...
Trying to fix gauges stopped working replaced the instrument cluster didn't do the trick read online to disconnect the collision detection module but cannot find
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
10/18/2015
Dodge Mechanic: -Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech replied 2 years ago
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech

Have you tested for voltage to the cluster or did you try just to replace it with the same outcome not working?

If you haven't tested for voltage I would check and if your not sure reply back with the VIN and I will get you a wiring diagram..

Did both so far, not getting power in the bus line
Working from wiring diagram and info found on identifix.com, says should be getting 2.5 volts and not getting anything close
Currently thinking may have to replace BCM that is next on the list to check, from the diagram doesn't show anything between the cluster and the BCM
Doesn't seem to be any acid damage to the bus wires
VIN 2B4GP44G2XRI42629
Finally got the BCM off is there an easy way to test?

Sorry for the delay..

I attached the wiring diagram for the cluster.. Can you check pin 2 and 11 for 12v with key on?

INSTRUMENT CLUSTER - BLACK 13 WAY

CAVCIRCUITFUNCTION

1--

2M1 20PKFUSED B(+)

3--

4--

5--

6E2 20ORPANEL LAMPS FEED

7Z2 20BK/LGGROUND

8--

9D2 20WT/BKCCD BUS (-)

10D1 20VT/BRCCD BUS (+)

11F11 20RD/WTFUSED IGNITION SWITCH OUTPUT (ST-RUN-OFF)

12--

13Z1 20BKGROUND

I closed your duplicate question.. Please respond to this original question.

Tried that but did not fix
Thanks anyway, I'm up to replacing the BCM

If you tested the BUS wires and did not get around 2.5v then it could be a BUS issue.. The BUS wires are the two wires that all the modules use to "Talk" to each other.. A shorted wire or module could cause this issue.. If you have a scantool perform a module scan and see which ones are dead on the BUS..

Here is a case on your issues:

Case Number910529633

Vehicle IssueThe gauges drop out at times, there are multiple CCD bus codes in many modules. 1996-2000 NS.;This case is not to be confused with an issue where solely the gauges are LOCKING UP (needles stuck, prndl and odometer half lit). This condition is for a multiple CCD bus failures. If the ccd is corrupted it can cause multiple symptoms including: PRNDL boxed, odometer may read NO BUS (1999 +) All the gauges drop out and many ccd driven lights will come on Car will not start due to vtss (if equipped) The overhead and HVAC will have an erratic operation. Please verify that your problem IS NOT JUST one isolate concern opposed to multiple system problems. Some of the most common ccd codes are as follows: MIC: no AECM message BCM: no cluster message, NO SBEC (pcm) message, NO EATX (tcm) message PCM: No BCM and TCM message, TCM: No PCM (sbec) message AECM: no cluster message. You may or may not all of these codes, just be sure its more than a one or two that are not related to the SAME module (ex. The loss of the PCM will cause pcm communiaction message is many modules, but its one module at fault (pcm)).

System or ComponentErratic Operation / Fluctuates,Inoperative;Customer Concern (No DTCs),DTC / Error Message;Gauges,All Warning Lights;Interior;Acceleration;Came From Another Shop;Yes - Intermittent,Yes - Continuously,No - Condition Never Duplicated

RecommendationOn the 1996-2000 NS vans, usually the ccd bus shorts out at the b33-e36 connector underneath the battery; battery acid gets into the 10 way connector. Keep in mind the gauges will fail because of a ccd bus that: shorts to ground, shorts to power or shorts to each other. This can be accomplished at a connector, ccd module, or anywhere in the wiring. I know this does not narrow the possibilities. Use the NS manual and see the bus diagram in section 8w-30, note all the modules on the bus. Besides the b33-e36 connector the other likely areas are G300 (bcm ground), G104 (cab ground), g200 & g201 (hvac ground), or the HVAC or CAB module. Check to see if the battery looks NEW, if so then this may also indicate there may been a bad battery that boiled over.

Talk soon,

Brad

Jerry, Master Mechanic