Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Turns over jumping 30 and 87 but no start,, no power to

Customer Question
gages no power to starter...
turns over jumping 30 and 87 but no start,, no power to gages no power to starter when relay in
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
new ignition switch, new battery,, carsitting one year,, turned over and started no problem 2ce last week
10/18/2015
Dodge Mechanic: -Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech replied 2 years ago
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

Are you saying the starter isn't engaging when you turn the key? Do you see a red light on in the dash? When did it begin no starting?

lights on dash work ,,no gages,,, no gas gage ,, started and ran last week ,, no lock on wheel, new starter switch battery,, cranks when jumping 30 ,,87

Can I get the last 8 digits of your VIN so grab a wirig diagram? Also do you see a red light on in the dash?

4b560941

I have attached the starter relay wiring diagram.

Can you remove the starter relay and tell me if pin 86 has 12v when you try and start it? Then clip the test light to positive battery and probe pin 85 and tell me if it has a ground signal when starting..

Talk soon,

Brad

no on both

Do you see a red light on in the dash?

all the lights work on dash,, gages no

When you turn the key on does the check engine light come on? When did it begin not starting?

no check engine,, it started last week, then fri no start

If the check engine light does not come on when you turn the key on then the PCM is not coming on.. I attached the wiring diagram for the PCM.. Can you verify it has 12v and ground... Also turn key on and see if MAP or TPS has 5v on the Orange reference wire..

where is pcm located

Its the main engine computer beside the battery..

What do you touch on the PCM to test it for 12V?
I mean where on it?

Did you see the wiring diagram? You need to check Red/Orange(pin 29), Yellow(Pin30), Pink/White(Pin12)..

This is the wife. Hi. They are out there working. They have to take off the top of the fuse panal to see the wiring. Correct?
OK, he said it doesn't have a bracket like shown in your diagram, so he is taking the whole thing up to get at it.

Just need to disconnect the two connectors and then locate the pins and check for voltage..

Does the key have to be on when you test the 3 pins?

Yes

OK.
But, can the PCM be disconnected when we test the pin holes? Because the only way we could test it was to disconnect it because it pushes into the fuse panal.
we tested the pin holes with pins out and key off, and 30 came with 12 volts but 12 and 29 didnot register,, do we need to have the key on while pins are out or is it bad to turn key on while pins are out,, we have a half hour till dark and are outside

If 29 does not have 12 check fuse 17..

ok with the pcm unit pulled off and the holes exposed we retested the holes with same results,,, 30 12v,, 12 and 29 nothing,, with the key on this time
we are looking at the fuses in the box right next to battery,, which is fuse 17 they are not numbered,, is there another fuse box
Good Morning, Brad. We are back at it again. Can only do this car repair on the weekends. We never did resolve the problem. We located fuze 17, and it looks fine. We are wondering if the problem has something to do with the Security Safety System. I was researching on web and saw a few posts about problems with start after changing out the battery, (which we did a few weeks ago) because the security system needs to be reset. There is a description of a procedure where you turn the ignition as if to start and hold it while you press the UNLOCK and PANIC buttons on any remote at the same time and hold for 10 seconds. This supposedly resets the security system. Also you should know, that the drivers side door is not locking with the remote, and the gas gauge is not working. Since we only have the one key with remote, we are apprehensive about trying this, because we would have to use the same key for both operations, that of turning the ignition and activating the remote. What do you think? Is this just alot of hooha or should we try it? Or could it really screw up the computer? Sorry we didn't rate you, promise we will after this.
-Brad-
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech