Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

I have 04 3500 5.9 cummins p 2149 what can i do to fix this

Customer Question

i have 04 3500 5.9 cummins p 2149 what can i do to fix this cylinder 1,2 and 3 run 4,5 and 6 do not
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Do you have access to a multimeter and basic hand tools for electrical testing? If so, Let me know...

I am researching this concern for you and will get back with you as soon as possible, Thanks for your patience while I gather the information needed for your answer. Please post a reply so that I know that you still need help and to get your question back on my "Waiting for Response" list. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have multimeter and hand tools
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Ok, Good. The most common cause for the P2149 is one or more faulty injectors between 4,5,and 6. The possibilities include a wiring issue, or an internal ECM failure. From personal experience, injector failures are most common. This failure refers to a short or open condition with the electrical coil inside the injector. To find out which injector is faulty you need to pull the valve cover off. Then remove ALL wire terminals from ALL injectors. Go ahead and use the Ohm meter to check the resistance of all of the injectors. The Specification for injector resistance on the coil is greater than zero ohms and less than one ohm. Most good injectors test out at between .4 to .7 ohms. If any of the injectors ohm out at zero ohms or greater than .9 ohms it is considered faulty and will need to be replaced. Another test that must be run is the resistance between one of the injector terminals and the injector metal housing body. Check this and if your results are anything other than an "Open Circuit" the injector is bad and needs to be replaced.

Let me know what you come up with and we can continue from there if necessary....

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask, I am happy to help as long as necessary to help solve your concern. Remember, a "Positive" Rating will not close this question, You can post a reply here whenever you want, even after rating my answer!

Thank you!

Robert