Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

I have a 2008 Dodge Sprinter. Trucks runs great, full turbo

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Dodge Sprinter. Trucks runs great, full turbo boost, for about 15 minutes then turbo stops. If I stop the engine and re start, same thing happens. When I have boost I can hear a hissing sound, not real loud but I can hear it. I am going to take it to a shop but could use advice on how to not buy a new turbo if I don't need one.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Two possibilities come to mind from the symptoms you describe. The fact that you hear the hissing sound leads me to believe that there is an intake air leak. The first possibility is that one of the intercooler hoses has split and is leaking turbo boost pressure. The second possibility is a faulty Turbo Resonator. Either of these scenarios will result in oil spray in the area of the leak. If the Turbo resonator is at fault you will see oil spray/spatter near and on the brake booster. IF it is an intercooler hose, the hose will be oil soaked as well as the surrounding area. There is one other possibility that comes to mind and that is the Intercooler itself. If it has a hole somewhere the symptoms will be the same....

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

____________________________________________

If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask. If I have answered your question, Please kindly "Rate" my service, it is greatly appreciated.

Thank you and thanks for asking your question!

Robert

Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

This is an automated response that was scheduled when I posted my answer. I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my response, I want to say "Thanks!", and let you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also to let you know you can bookmark "" My Profile Page "" (Bookmark this link) in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it.

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not rated my response, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If your not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.

My goal is to answer your question to your complete satisfaction, and would like to earn your business now and in the future.

Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Robert