Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

Tracking down a parasitic battery drain on my 2002 Dodge

Customer Question

Tracking down a parasitic battery drain on my 2002 Dodge Neon RT. Using a digital multi-meter attached to the battery in series on the negative post I'm seeing a 77mA draw after 10 minutes. (577mA for the first 10 minutes after doors are open/closed.) I've tracked it down to fuse #3 (labeled 40AMP headlight) on the Power Distribution Center. After pulling that fuse it drops way down to 7mA draw and stays there. This circuit appears to control the headlights as well as the door lock solenoids(?) Pulling the other fuses on the car has no affect on drain either way.
Do you have a wiring diagram for this circuit and/or can you tell me what exactly is on this circuit?
Thanks.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is 77mA typical for this car?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. I am away camping up in Truckee California and do not have access to my wiring diagrams at the moment, but will be home later today and can send you the diagrams then. Is that ok? If not, I can opt out and let another expert try and help you. Let me know,

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

77ma is a bit high. I think 35ma is acceptable.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was thinking 77mA is somewhat high for this vehicle. I'm not able to start the car after it sits for a 4-5 days. I've already replaced the battery and tested the alternator as well. If you have the wiring diagram for this car and can help me with it then later today is acceptable. I'm on the East Coast. Thanks.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Yes that is a bit high. I will send you the diagrams as soon as I get home today.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Chris, I just got this thing figured out. Turns out the gauges my son had installed on the A-pillar (oil pressure, oil temperature, and battery voltage) were tapped into the remote keyless entry circuit on the inside fuse box. Looks like these gauges were drawing power as a 'keep alive' to remember the light color they were set to. (70 mA for this!) As the remote keyless entry is an always hot circuit, it was the cause of the parasitic loss in this case. I've moved the tap to an ignition switched circuit (sunroof) and now my draw is down to 7mA. (Turns out the default reset color is blue which is what it was set to anyway!) I should be able to have the car sit for weeks between starts now.Thanks anyway but how do I get a partial refund on this? You should get something for responding.Please advise.Thanks.Les Wilson
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Very good Les! Sounds like you figured it out. Always have to eliminate the aftermarket things first. Glad you found it and as far as a refund, just call the 800 support number. They can help you out.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks Chris.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome!

Chris