Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs
7276279

I have an 2007 dodge caliber with 2.0 CVT. Car has 101,000

Customer Question

I have an 2007 dodge caliber with 2.0 CVT. Car has 101,000 miles. Had for couple of months...put on about 1500 miles. Have noticed whining noise mostly on deceleration but not really an issue. Recently, after starting, could not get out of park. Popped out the side plug and inserted finger to release to get out of park. Problem was intermintant but today I had to do it everytime I had to get it out of park. Also, check engine light came on (not on till today). Had Autozone scan it and gave P0571 and P0700. I have also noticed a rattle in the serpertine belt area (possibly bad idler pulley or alternator bearing?). Love the car and seems to have had good care. Drives fine. Have an appointment for next Thursday at my Dodge dealer. Nervous about the CVT thing but this be a problem not involving the worst case (trans bad)? Could a bad brake switch (P0571) cause the P0700 code to come on? Thanks
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should also add that I do still have brake lights so that is part of the reason I didn't install the switch thinking I wouldn't have those if the switch was bad.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

It is possible the code P0571 could cause the P0700 to set so the first thing to do is to deal with the P0571 which can be caused by either a bad brake light switch or the wiring to it. In order to determine which you are going to need to do some testing. I have enclosed the steps in the link below. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Brake%20switch%20test%20oct%203.pdf

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Please consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 5AM eastern time and work all day . A rating is required. Your rating me , and what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor do I have control over the fees or the time it takes to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all ,you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short

Thank you, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I for some reason, cannot open the link so at this point, this effort and money spent has been no help. I have a new switch so should I go ahead and install? Could I still have brake lights like I do if the switch is bad? If that is the problem, will it reset or clear the codes or does that have to be done? Dealer recommends CVT fluid/filter change at 60,000 & 120,000. Mine has 101,000 and don't know if ever changed. I do have some whine (mostly on deceleration) but don't know if that is normal for CVT. Other than the noise, runs fine. Service worth the $300 charge?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Yes if you have the switch its likely bad with this code and yes you could still have brake lights if its bad , The test steps really need to be performed to know for sure. Try the new link below and see if it will open as it should for you. After you have the problem solved then yes you need to clear the codes, to do so disconnect the negative battery cable which will clear both codes.

If you are not sure if the fluid has ever been changed then I would go ahead and do it that way you have a record of when it was done .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Didn't see a new link...installed new switch and now no brake lights and still can't get out of gear so I guess I'll just give up and will take to dealer on Thursday and hope for the best. Does the CVT naturally have a noticeable whine to it?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

See the link below.