Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I have a 1999 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins, it has no/low power on

Customer Question
take off and then when...
I have a 1999 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins, it has no/low power on take off and then when it gets warmed up it has an intermittent miss, Thought it was an injection pump so injection pump has been changed and it is still doing it, it has no lights, no codes, an engine scan 2 of the cylinders showed misfire and a third cylinder would intermittent misfire. Brakes are hard to push down, like a vacuum problem, don't know it that has anything to do with it or not.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
9/30/2015
Dodge Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 2 years ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** lack of power and missfire will be bad injectors, and is common on these, it wont be in the VP44 injection pump, if no codes were set, how many miles do you have on this?

190,000

with this mileage, its going to be bad injectors, if the VP44 is new, as for the brakes, these are hydraulically controlled, not vacuum, they have a hydrobbost unit in place of a vacuum booster, you have a bad hydroboost assembly,Tim

When it first happened, same symptoms, it coded an injection pump, replaced the pump and no codes, but doing the same thing, injection pump and injectors went bad at the same time??????????????????????

was it a P0216 code?

I believe so, but I am not possitive

ok, then this isa different story, if it had a code P0216, this is the death code for the injection pump, but the lift pump having low pressure is what causes the injection pump to fail on these, they have removed all the cetane from the diesel fuel , and the VP44 relies on the fuel to cool and lubricate the vp44, if the lift pump gets weak, it will overheat the vp44 causing it to fail, have you checked the lift pump pressure yet?

I owned this truck when it was bone stock and it ran fabulous, I sold it to my buddy and got it back. He had put a cheap under the hood programmer on it and then removed it because it started doing what it is doing before giving the truck back to me, he also put a new Fass Fuel system on it, I did not install it, it was just put on before I got this truck back, this truck had these symptoms when I got it back. I also thought about the Fass Fuel system not working right because of the vent in the tank or something like that. Did this year truck also have a problem with fuel lines to the injectors where if you don't get them torqued back down correct, they pour fuel into the head?

when he installed the FASS system, did he remove the fuel filter and pump, and run the fass directly to the VP44

ok, first thng to do is check the fuel pressure at the line coming from the FASS, at the VP44, if it does not have at least 11 psi of pressure, then the fass will need to be replaced, but the good news is, the FASS has a lifetime guarantee,Tim

Okay I will do that and then get back to you.

let me know,Tim

Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH