Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

My key fob got wet today and I stuck it into my ignition and

Customer Question

My key fob got wet today and I stuck it into my ignition and started the truck. After it running for a good two hours or so I parked it into my driveway. As I put it into park, something happened with that and the key. Now the key will come out and it is not in the off position, my shifter will move freely from park to drive and the steering wheel will not lock. Also the center part of the ignition is stuck down and will not pop back up. Could it be wet from my key fob?
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will not start either.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. Water from the Key Fob probably dripped down into the WIN module (ignition switch). It may have been damaged, but maybe it will dry out and be ok. Try drying it with a hair dryer. Hopefully that will work. If not, then you will have no choice but to replace the WIN module. If so, Please have the dealer do this because the new WIN module will need to be programmed using the dealer's WiTech scan tool.

I hope this helps!

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With the WIN module possibly being bad would that allow the shifter to move freely from park to drive? Also would it cause the steering wheel not to lock?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Yes it would. It sends a signal to the shift lever interlock and steering wheel lock to lock and unlock. So that does make sense. Hopefully it will dry out eventually and start working again.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply, and if so do you still need help with your problem? Please remember, the website will not automatically credit me from your deposit or subscription without your Rating! Please, use the Rating System Box and Rate our Q&A session today or. If you need to ask more questions, please feel free to ask!

Thank you!

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you!

Chris