Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I am getting a smell of some sort or fume or something

Customer Question
coming from my vents in...
I am getting a smell of some sort or fume or something coming from my vents in a 2015 RAM Truck 4x4 Crew (Sport w/Hemi Engine).
This only occurs after the truck reaches operating temperature and comes to a full stop, example red light. Once driving again the smell no longer appears to be coming from the vents.
There are two ways to get rid of the smell:
- After I start driving, I roll down the window and the cabin airs out.
- Or, I turn on the air recirculation, which instantly gets rid of the smell.
When the smell does come into the cabin, it does sting the eyes just a little. I don't see smoke or anything like that. The smell does seem to be coming from the engine.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
The smell is difficult to describe, but definitely mechanical, perhaps oil burning.
9/28/2015
Dodge Mechanic: I. Silva, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
I. Silva
I. Silva, ASE Certified Technician

Hello...welcome and thank you for using Justanswer.

I would try to duplicate the smell turning the heat and then the AC ,ON to see if the smell from the vents gets stronger.

Heater core or the AC evaporator can slow leak and give you that smell , you should have it check if there is nothing leak on the engine bay ,like coolant or oil from valve cover gaskets(not very common for this pretty much new vehicle)

Good luck.

Let me know if need any further info.

Thank you very much.

I. Silva
I. Silva
I. Silva, ASE Certified Technician