Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I have dodge 2004 1500 quad cab 5.7 hemi with paxton

Customer Question
supercharger. Headers as well. Engine...
I have dodge 2004 1500 quad cab 5.7 hemi with paxton supercharger. Headers as well. Engine compartment got extremely hot. Melted part of pass wheel well. Runs badly won't get over 20 to 30 mph but then just takes off like racecar at times. I replaed throttle body. Need to replace catalytic converter cause went bad as well as o2 sensors while at it. Have 2 sensors on pass side engine lower and mid engine that look to be melted somewhat. What sensors should I replace and in what order. I know that o2 sensors should be done. 102000 miles on engine. Plugs and wires done at 75000. No coils ever replaced but would like to put high performance ones in at some point. Engine blew a piston through block at 92000 sonew block put in 2.7 years ago. Give me best strategy startng wing cat converter and o2 sensors. How hard eaxh one is going to be an if me or shop should do it. Any special tools neede to make job easier and approx time to do each. Have lots of tools 3.5 ton jack creeper torque wrench
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/26/2015
Dodge Mechanic: -Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech replied 2 years ago
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!!

Did the engine overheat to cause it to melt those items, what did the temperature get to? Or does the engine get that hot when it's running, does the headers get red hot? If so then it's running lean and you will need to tune your engine.. Did you install the supercharger yourself? Was just a supercharger added or was the injectors replaced as well as PCM?

Talk soon,

Brad

Ok here is the deal. The supercharger was added back inn 2005 by a professional. The headers never melted anything until earlier the year. No the headers don't get that hot. The cat is blown out and i need to replace that and the o2 sensors. Yes they added 2 more injectors with extra water cooler for engine. The spark plugs and wires were replcdd
Replaced 25000 miles ago but none of the coils were. I just want to know what to replae and in what order besides the cat and o2 sensors. There are two sensors on the pass side of the engine block and one of rhem is melted pretty bad. What causes the engine to run really crappy and all of a sudden take off and run like a race car. Something has to be faulty and i want to replace stuff starting with most likely thing and work my way to the least likely. My fuel gauge also shows full then goes to empty and goes back to full. Kind of like something stuck ikind of like the float is stuck or wiring is bad.

Sorry for the delay!!

Do you know what codes are active in the PCM? I would start with erasing the codes and start it up and read the active codes then run the diagnostics for them.. If you have them post them here so I can see what's going on...

Talk soon,

Brad

I dont have a code reader. Recommendations for a good chea one.

Well any cheap code reader will work to retrieve ODBIII information. I would like for you to write down all codes stored and active, and then erase them and start it up and then reply back with the previous codes and now active codes so I can get an idea of whats going on..

-Brad-
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech