Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I have a 2003 Dodge Dakota extended cab. The passenger

Customer Question
window will not operate with...
I have a 2003 Dodge Dakota extended cab. The passenger window will not operate with the passenger switch, but will work fine with the switch on the driver's panel. I've tried replacing the passenger switch with no luck. The problem is intermittent, but more often than not the switch isn't working. I don't have lockout switch.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
9/23/2015
Dodge Mechanic: Jon, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Jon
Jon, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, does the window not work from the passenger switch now and do you have a test ligh?

Test light. Sorry.

Hi Jon,
Unfortunately I'm not at the vehicle now. I do have a test light but won't be able to do any troubleshooting today.

Ok, let me know when you're ready .Considering its intermittent, it sounds like there's a broken wire in the boot in the door jam. It's fairly common. If you can get it to not work, hold the switch and slowly open and close the door and see if that affects the window operation.

Ok, I should have contacted you when I was able to troubleshoot the switch. If it is a broken wire is that repairable or do I need to replace that portion of the harness?

It's definitely repairable. It's kind of tight but you can do it. I prefer soldering with a mini tortch with the open flame vs a soldering iron or gun. You'd need a mini tortch, solder, wire strippers and shrink tube. I could send you a video of how I do it if you wind up finding a broken wire in that boot.

Ok, I've got all the tools and have done a fair amount of wiring repairs. Some even worked. As you mentioned it seems like this is a fairly common problem but most of the forum posts discuss the lockout, which I don't have, or the master switch. I probably won't get to open things up until tomorrow at the earliest. Is there an easy way to get in touch if I find that wire?

Yes, just reply to this thread. It definitely could be the master switch also. If the window lock switch in the master switch is intermittently not working, it could be that.

Ok, I'll check it out.

Ok, let me know

Hi Jon, It doesn't act like a broken wire in the door harness, no difference when I move the door back and forth. Does the power for the passenger switch go through the switches on the driver's panel? If that's the case because it's intermittent at the passenger door switch but always works from the driver's switch, I'm wondering if it is a loose connection the driver's panel.
Got it, thanks.

You found the problem?

No, not yet. I checked the connectors to the switches on both the passenger and driver panels for solid connections. Everything looked good. Right now the window is working from the passenger switch so I'm thinking it is probably a connection issue between the driver master switch and the passenger switch. When it stops working again I'll start from the driver's side. Sound reasonable to you?

Yes, try opening and closing the driver door also if you didn't. It could be a broken wire there also.

Yeah, tried that too. Since it's working right now I guess I'll have to wait until it cuts out again so I can trace backwards from the passenger switch. Aside from the diagram you sent I've got a couple other wiring schematics. Would you agree that the power for the passenger switch comes from the driver door module, or does it have it's own feed tapped off between the junction box circuit breaker and the driver's module? If the passenger window switch gets it's power from the driver module, and since the window always works from the switch on the driver's panel it makes me wonder if the problem is in the driver module switch itself. (I hope that made sense.) It looks like there are a couple of wire bundle connections between the two doors, so the issue could be there too. I hate electrical problems.

Yes, it definitely gets power from the driver switch (module). If it's getting used by the passenger switch, it gets power from the yellow wire if the lock out on the driver switch is unlocked. So when it's not working, you'd check for power at the yellow wire first coming out of the driver switch, if it's there, then check for it at the passenger switch.

Jon
Jon
Jon, ASE Certified Technician