sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have 1999 dodge truck with 5.7 diesel 24 valve engine. I

Customer Question

I have 1999 dodge truck with 5.7 diesel 24 valve engine. I installed new injection pump and engine wouldn't restart after shut down in hot humid weather. I was told to pour cold water on the injection pump and it worked. Finally convinced engine shop that was true and they installed another injection pump. The engine would then start in hot humid conditions but it took excessive cranking. It would also take excessive cranking anytime the engine was at operating temperature. The truck is used very little. Now occasionally the engine will not start at all after warm up. Engine starts instantly when cold. Also if I don't' leave it shut off very long it usually restarts at temp. Pouring water on or in the area of the injection pump or leaving engine throughly cool down allows an instant restart. What could be wrong.
.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If cooling the injector pump truly allows it to start that's a sign that the pump module is causing the issue but I'm wondering if you're having a fuel drainback issue. A drainback issue wouldn't explain it starting immediately with a cooldown period or water though.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to see what fault codes are setting. Have you read codes from the ECM and PCM?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will see if my ECM or PCM has a stored code and continue our conservation probably later this week

Great!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't had my codes read yet. I am also thinking my problem might be fuel draining back, I'm having the problem in cooler weather. Truck seems to restart immediately if I don't leave it sit. Starting fluid also stars engine immediately when I have no start problem and runs fine. What should I look for now? I've left fuel cap off but no difference. New fuel filter didn't help. Why would cold water help.

Pouring cold water on the injector pump will cool the pump module and can allow it to start if the module is failing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand that. My question is what to look for if its a fuel drain back problem. If the problem is module what would cause a second failure?

The last sentence of your post asked why would cold water help.

The first step is still going to be to see if any fault codes are setting. Do you have the truck?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still waiting for my nephew to come over with his scanner.

Have you tried the key cycle method in the mean time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, could you tell me what to do?

Cycle the key from off to on three times ending with it on and watch the digital odometer display. Don't crank the starter, just off to on. The codes will start with a P and have four numbers, there may be more that one stored. This doesn't always bring up everything on the older Cummins trucks but you may find something this way.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apparently I don't have that option because it didn't work or else it's because I have no codes. I also have had my nephew come over today with his code reader and verify that there are no stored codes. He left me his scanner saying that when the no start problem occurs if it is because of low voltage to the injection pump because of starter draw or whatever, that his scanner will shutdown. Your thoughts on what to do next?

Do both crank sensors and the cam sensors produce a signal when cranking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure if I'm getting a signal ,not having the problem in this cooler weather. How would I check the sensors? At this time i can only assume that their working because vechile does start with excessive cranking.

A scan tool is needed to monitor sensor signals.