Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I'm changed the rear main seal in my 1976 Dodge Power Wagon

Customer Question
with a 400 CI engine...
I'm changed the rear main seal in my 1976 Dodge Power Wagon with a 400 CI engine. I replaced the old rope style seal with a neoprene two piece seal. This engine has a rather odd design with an aluminum block that serves as the rear portion of the engine block above the oil pan surrounding the rear main bearing cap. I'm learning is a constant source of leaks. The first rear main I bought did not have the side seals but rather instructions to squeeze RTV up into the side seal area. This did not work at all. The second set I've purchased (from Chrysler) has two small rubber like seals that the instructions say to soak in mineral spirits and then insert into the side seal channels. This apparently needs to be done quickly as the rubber parts swell rapidly. In several Mopar forums this procedure is cussed vehemently! Not one of Mother Mopars best engineering jobs! How do you recommend doing this? I'm not going to replace the rear maim since it looks as if the leak is coming from the side seals. Thanks Gary.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
9/20/2015
Dodge Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 2 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question
Been awhile since I have done one, but here is the trick I do use on them. Pour some mineral spirits into a squirt can, then insert the side seals into the channels and squirt the seals in the channels liberally with the mineral spirits. They will swell in to place inside the channels.
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager