bill
bill, dodge master tech
Experience:  25 years with dodge drivability and electrical expert
5203640

2009 dodge grand caravan SE 3.3 abs,brake, esp and traction

Customer Question

2009 dodge grand caravan SE 3.3 abs,brake, esp and traction control lights on dash light up at 12 mph I have check codes using the three rapid cycles of key method no codes. I induced a code by disconnecting the left front wheel speed sensor and then all
the above mention lights illuminate upon start up. Again I check codes with the three rapid key cycle no codes found. I cleared codes by disconnecting the battery and above mentioned lights are out again but come on at 12 mph. I find if I do a jack rabbit
start and get a wheel spin the traction control light illuminates and when driving the above mentioned lights do not illuminate.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

the key cycle is ONLY for engine computer codes NOTHING else, you will need a code reader or scan tool (preferred) that will read ABS codes this is a specific code reader not a generic one that only reads engine codes

it SOUNDS like there is a speed sensor or tone ring failing/failed but I will need the ABS codes to help determine which one

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would an innova 3100 scanner do the trick? I found one on the internet for $95.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How about that when I disconnecting the left front speed sensor the lights were all illuminated upon start up? And that's not the case otherwise.
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

it LOOKS like it will but you may want to go to the innova website and be 100% sure it will do your van, it says MOST Chrysler vehicles in the description not all.

unplugging any sensor will set an immediate code for a circuit failure, USUALLY when the code sets after a specific speed it is a loss if speed signal code which can be the tone ring OR the sensor going bad BUT which one there are 4 sensors monitored for circuit failures, signal failures (which can even be caused by mismatched tires) speed differential failures (where 1 or more sensors give 1 reading BUT other(s) give another) pump circuit failures, internal controller failures and a host of other problems, so knowing what is triggering the light will point you in the direction you need to go for a good diagnosis