Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

I hv 2008 v6 3.0 in sprinter, no start, compression on both

Customer Question

Hi I hv 2008 v6 3.0 in sprinter, no start , compression on both sides 100 psi , do I hv I chamce repairing this
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

How many miles are on this Sprinter?

What happened that led up to this no start issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
200000 bought it not running low compression tested threw glow plug 100 , could it be cam sprocket?
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

This engine has multiple cam shafts, it's not likely that one bad cam could cause low compression on both sides. It is possible that if the timing chain jumped time that it could have affected compression in all cylinders. Does it make any strange noises while cranking the engine? If so, can you record a video of the engine cranking so I can hear it for myself, If I can hear it cranking, I may be able ot offer up some suggestions.

Have you tried starting it by using ether (Starting Fluid)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thk u I tore down valve covers , a lot of work , put crank on tdc I think by putting line on crank to line on get case, when I look behind cam gears dots line up perfect in both sides, when it did crank it never made any raping, one time starting fluid it fired once for 2 sec and sounded to me ok, I did compression but it was very low in all holes 100 . Valve covers off now, motor has 200k , I bougt it not running
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

I have seen one of the driver side cam sprockets break right at the sprocket and camshaft joining point, This is the cam that has the drive gear for the injection pump. Since valve covers are off, crank the engine over and make sure all 4 camshafts rotate when engine is cranking...''

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I turn crank with socket and see all cams moving dots line up on tooths
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

If compression is really at 100 psi on all cylinders, you will at this point have no choice but to pull both heads to inspect the cylinder walls and pistons....

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do u think rings gone at 200k and all holes dead at same time at Sam comp
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Not likely, I've seen these engines run well over 300k with no issues. I was thinking a timing issue for sure but you stated everything lined up correctly so next step is teardown for investigation... Maybe it had a few injectors fail stuck open and burned up the engine...???

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I test psi I tested threw glow plug hole.is that ok? When I put crank on tdc I look behind cam gears and see dots match could it be still off??
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Compression test should be accurate testing via the glow plug hole...

It shouldn't be off. But keep in mind that I mentioned earlier about camshafts breaking. You may find something if you start removing the injection pump and possibly timing chain....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Visually I can't see anything broken ,should I take off injection pump because I Hv nothing to loose now, but Time Could it be crank key sheared and cam maks still on?? When you say cam broken they all spin and dots line up. I'm at stand still thks for ur time!
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

If broken, it is very hard to see. When I had one break, it was a clean break right near the injection pump drive gear. It's hard to see unless you pull the camshaft...

At this point you have nothing to lose, just continue teardown until you find the failure.... Broken crank key is a possibility although I have never seen that happen myself...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would cam still spin and dots line up when I spin it if it was broke off clean??
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

The one I did was still spinning. The way I found the problem is when I looked at the lobes on the broken camshaft as opposed to it's mating cam (Intake vs Exhaust cam) I noticed the lobes were in a position that would have both intake and exhaust valves opening at the same time. When I noticed that, I looked closer and found the break at the base of the injection pump drive gear. Of course if one cam breaks it will only affect compression on that side....

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask, I am happy to help as long as necessary to help solve your concern. Remember, a "Positive" Rating will not close this question, You can post a reply here whenever you want, even after rating my answer!

Thank you!

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I try another comp check with valve cover off? If cam breaks how can dots line up ? And to Hv all cly 100 psi is very odd to me, 200 k drain oil it's clean , cam look Gd , when I put on tdc does it matter what cly to check dots behind cam I just turn crank to line up with line on case and the look up top and see dots on both cams dead on
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

It's not recommended to crank the engine with valve covers off since they are also the upper cam bearings and the cams may flop around a bit up against the hold down retainers and cause a false reading on some cylinders.

The dots can still line up because of the location of the break, see the following pic for more info.

<p><a href="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60214565/ScrShot_0046.jpg" target="_blank">Click Here</a></p>

the cam dots should line up together on each bank when the crankshaft is at the TDC mark.

If all that is ok, then you have no choice but to start pulling the heads....

Good luck and keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thk u very much for ur time what is the left side , standing in front of Van Whats the left ? Should I pull cam before head? And check,
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Left side always referrs to the "Driver's Side". Standing in front of the van the left head would be on your right side....

To pull the heads requires removal of the camshafts as the head bolts are below the camshafts. So in this case, you must pull he cams first....