sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Dodge Dakota 1998 v8 loses power (down to 50mph) while

Customer Question

dodge Dakota 1998 v8 loses power (down to 50mph) while driving to work this last week. Happens after 18 mi or so at 65 mph. Parked thru 2pm or so ...does not happen on way back ? help...thanks
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are quite a few things that could cause a lack of power. Loss of fuel pressure or a restricted catalytic converter are the most common tings to cause a simple lack of power but the engine run otherwise ok.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to check for fault codes. Have you checked for codes?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I will have to have someone check those for me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also, the fact that it happens only in am on way to work seems strange...does this indicate anything particular?

If it happened earlier in the warmup cycle then a failed upstream oxygen sensor would be likely but if it happens around 18 miles and at highway speed then that shouldn't be the case. The problem happening in the morning doesn't really rule out or point to anything.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Then why the first trip of the day and not the way back?

It may be coincidence that it seems to happen in the morning.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My son's truck. I didn't have all the correct info.....it has happened on the way back as well.

If you're ale to have codes read that will be the first step. Most big chain parts stores suh as Autozone will read codes for free.

If no codes are stored then the next thing I would recommend is monitoring fuel pressure when it acts up.

Also with the exhaust cool you can slide under and hit the converter to see if it rattles inside. If it does then the material is broken up and the converter needs to be replaced for sure.