Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

I have a 2003 sprinter when starting out or accelerating at

Customer Question

i have a 2003 sprinter when starting out or accelerating at low speed i have initial hesitation ,a clicking sound in the front,followed by a large puff of black smoke out the exaust, then good accelaration. suspect e.g.r. valve
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Is the check engine light on?

Has it been scanned for codes?

Have you pulled the egr for inspection? I have seen EGR valves fail and cause issues like this, each time, EGR valve was obviously damaged and needed replacement...

If you pull EGR valve and move the valve back and forth and it doesn't spring back closed, it is bad and will need to be replaced....

IF the egr valve is good, Scanning the vehicle for codes will be the second recommendation....

Post back any codes retreived and we can go from there...

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The check engine light is not on. I did not scan for codes.
I've not pulled the egr valve yet.
About 6 months ago, I had trouble with rough idle. No codes appeared, but the computer said it was not the same injector that was failing each time. We put alot of injector cleaner through & eventually it got better. Then this problem appeared.
I'll pull the egr valve out & check it.
Thanks
Dale
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

The check engine light does not have to be on for there to be codes stored. I HIGHLY recommend to scan it. Post any codes retrieved and I'll do my best to help..

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked for codes tonight. There are no codes recorded and there are no pending codes recorded. I drove the truck with the code reader installed. When the problem occurred, there was no indication of a malfunction from the code reader. I mentioned earlier that there was a loud clicking noise in front. The noise is deeper, kind of a "knock". I took the cover off the EGR valve and the actuator seems to be functioning properly. The knocking sound is just 2 thumps when I press the accelerator. Then the smoke and then the truck seems to accelerate normally. I have replaced the fuel filter which did not seem to make a difference with this problem.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like a possible harmonic balancer separation issue. This is the Crankshaft Pulley that drives the Serpentine Belt. This is a 2 piece pulley that has a tendency to separate at the rubber mounting point.. Have the harmonic balancer checked out and post back any results...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you! -- Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or better. It's only then that I am credited... A "Poor" or "Bad Service" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

Please keep in mind, If you are not happy with your answer and you need additional info, please ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Please remember that this site operates on the honor system... Making sure that your expert is paid for your answer is GREATLY appreciated and is what allows experts to continue working for you and others...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Harmonic balancer is good, however the right side motor mount appears to have failed. Is that the side that lifts under torque?
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I'm fairly certain that the right side lifts under torque, I'll double check to be sure. If I find out different, I'll let you know...

Thank you,

Robert