Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I have a 2006 ram 2500 diesel with a 48re. I was

Customer Question
experiencing a shift issue and...
I have a 2006 ram 2500 diesel with a 48re. I was experiencing a shift issue and replaced the governor pressure solenoid and regulator. That took care of the initial problem but now the trans wont shift into overdrive. I replaced the throttle control valve position sensor and the torque converter control solenoid along with the overdrive control solenoid. The torque converter locks up at about 55 mph on flat ground.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
9/7/2015
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Lack of fourth gear could be quite a few things ranging from the overdrive solenoid, a valve body issue, overdrive unit damage or a leaking piston, but with the converter locking up so late I'm wondering if the ECM isn't seeing correct vehicle speed. If it thinks the truck is traveling slower than what it is then that will cause the delayed lockup and possibly no overdrive.

Are any fault codes setting in the ABS module or ECM?

What was the original problem?

This problem didn't happen until the valve body was removed?

There are no codes, detected by my scanner. My scanner speed indicator matches the speedometer. I never removed the valve body. The original problem was the trans would downshift in a corner and would cause the engine to rev hi before shifting up again. Changing the governor pres. sensor and solenoid took care of that problem but I didnt have overdrive after that. I then changed the od/tcc solenoid and trans throttle valve actuator and no difference. I live in a remote area of wyoming, no dodge dealer or trans shop near.

Do you have the ability to read pinion factor with the scan tool?

Not with the scanner i have, maybe i could get a better scanner . Is there any way i can check for a signal from the ecm the the trans.

Determining why it isn't shifting is going to require monitoring data to see if it's commanding a shift, and if not, then why.

Do you have a fourth gear actuator test?

No. I may have to put to the dealer then. Its about a 1.5 hour drive.
Im at work right now and wont b home til next tuesday. When i get home i will c if anybody in my town has a scanner, what all will i need to look at with the scanner

The first thing you'll want to look at is if it's requesting fourth gear. If not then look at throttle angle, engine load, coolant and trans temp, and vehicle speed to see if something looks out of line. I'd really like to see what it shows for pinion factor in the ABS module.

Ok. I will see what i can find out next week. All I can look at in real time, from that list, with my scanner is vehicle speed, engine load and coolant temp. I will get back to you. Thanks.
One other thing i noticed but forgot was while doing 65 if i pushed the throttle down, like to pass it downshifted causing high rpm in the engine. I would have thought there would be something to prevent that.

It definitely won't downshift to second gear at that speed.

How are you determining it's not going into fourth gear?

Counting the shifts and watching speedo and tach. At 70 mph it used to run at about 1800 rpm, now at 65 mph it runs at about 2500. When it downshifted my tach went well over redline but just for a second before i got off the throttle and onto the break.
The speedo and tach.readings on the dash match the readings on my scanner

Let's get a look at pinion factor and the other things I mentioned and go from there.

Ok. Thanks for the help

You're welcome!

I was just talking with a co-worker and thinking about the pinion factor and temembered something else. When i canged the gov press reg and sensor i also changed the trans output speed sensor, and havent had overdrive since. Could that sensor cause these problems? It wouldn't be the first time a new part was bad.

It should be setting a P0720 if the output speed sensor signal was missing and it shouldn't just cause a loss of four gear. If you have your old sensor it wouldn't hurt to put it back in though and see what happens.

I have the old one. But im still going to get a better scanner. I plan on keeping the truck for a long time.

Odds are it isn't the sensor but it only take a minute to swap the old one back in.

Swapped the output speed sensor and no difference. My new scanner wont show pinion factor, and i cant find a trans temp either. Will do more checking tomorrow

Ok.

This info was gathered on a flat highway with no grade. Throttle angle 47.5%, calculated load 18.7%, engine temperature 199°f, rpm 2648, vehicle speed 65mph. All reading were taken from the scanner not vehicle gauges.

What is throttle percent with t closed?

I will check shortly
At idle it is 0.0

Are you able to see commanded gear?

Negative on commanded gear. Im getting a comprehensive component monitoring incomplete notification too. I will go to a local garage monday and c if i can get them to take a ride with me with a different scanner. If i can get them to do it, what other info do u need?

We need to see whether it's commanding fourth gear or not. If it is then the problem is internal.

I'd also like to look at pinion factor and see if it shows the correct tire size.

Tire size is stock size from factory on factory wheels

You said that you weren't able to check pinion factor?

Not able to, just saying that the tires and wheels that r mounted on the truck r factory size. So it should b set right

It needs to be looked at with a scan tool if fourth gear isn't being commanded.

Ok, will try to find a shop here that can check it

Great!

No scanner locally, that will check pinion angle or commanded gear. I will have to drive to another town on my next days off, a week from this wednesday.

Let me know how it goes!

I will. I still want to fix it myself, if possible, or replace my trans if needed. I just dont want to replace the trans and find that its something else.

I agree, I wouldn't want to replace the trans unless it's definitely necessary.

Can't get my truck onto a dealer scanner until the 29th of october.

Let me know how it goes!

Ok. If I have to replace the ecu does it need to be programed once its installed

A Mopar ECM would come blank and the software would have to be programmed. Either a Mopar or aftermarket would need to have the VIN, mileage and SKIM functions programmed.

Ok, thanks

You're welcome!

Dealer said the ecm is telling to trans to shift into overdrive but its not not going and pinion factor it corrent
They r recommending a trans replacement

If it's commanding fourth gear then the problem is definitely internal in the trans. It has to be the solenoid pack, an issue in the valve body, mechanical failure in the overdrive unit, of the overdrive piston leaking. The trans would either need to be replaced or removed and disassembled for inspection.

I replaced the solenoid pack. They said the fluid smells slightly burnt and with 243000 miles they recommended a rebuild or replacement. I dont know anything about rebuilding one of these so i would b in over my head to tear into it.

It's always possible that you got a bad solenoid pack but it's unlikely that you would have two in a row with the same issue. They usually fail electrically rather than mechanically which will set a code and put the trans in limp in.

I never did get any codes. If i replace my trans at home will a dealer have to do any programming or anything like that

No,no programming will need to be done after the trans is replaced.

Cool. I appreciate the help and advise

You're welcome!

sprinkles08
sprinkles08