Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I'm adding power/heated seats to a 2005 Durango that didn't

Customer Question
Hello I'm adding power/heated seats to...
Hello
I'm adding power/heated seats to a 2005 Durango that didn't have this option and looking to wire the power seats direct from another power source and looking for a color/pin out which wires are the power and ground for the power seats and maybe down the line the heat part of these.
Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
9/3/2015
Dodge Mechanic: Randall C, ASE Master Technician replied 2 years ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Technician

Hello, I have include the wiring diagrams, If you had memory seats int he other vehicle>? then this is a problem as module sand wiring etc all will need to be added, otherwise, I have included a link showing the diagrams for the seats, and seat heaters

Thanks for the diagrams and yes the new seats do have the memory option. Can you just bypass the memory option and just wire the power seats?

no, this can NOT be done,. The switches are different, The memory seats do not use a simple contact switch, It is all done via CAN BUS data lines., No way to just wire up less the memory module, Sorry but can not be done. Motors are different switch is different just no comparison to non mempry and memory, You need the module and harnes to and from the module

Is this even possible with the correct parts? If so where do I find these parts to do this? Do you need to bring this to a dealer or can I install these parts? Also some part #s would be great what I need.
Thanks again!

well, if it has memeory, then the module should still be under the drivers seat, Are you saying no module just a bunch of plugs? or is the module there, I am a little confused

Sorry the module and all wires are there with two plugs under the seat. I have the carpet up in the truck and there's only one plug from the old seat under the carpet?

ok, how many plugs are missing from the module

Both plugs are there with the connectors in them but the previous owner just cut the wires to remove the seats.

this is just too complex and personally I can not see it being done with the memory, You would need vehicle harnesses, and so on, it ties into radio, adjustable mirrors, pedals and more, It is not setup for the memory portion,. regular power seats? non memory? I can help with that with no problem, It is just not really possible to now add memory, Here is a big description of this

The Memory Seat Module (MSM) is located underneath the driver seat, towards the front and on the outboard side. It is used in conjunction with the other modules in the memory system to recall the seat to one of two preset seat functional adjustments (horizontal, vertical, and recliner). The switch for the memory seat programming and selection mounts on the driver door trim panel. The MSM also controls the adjustable pedals, both for the memory and manual functionality. The adjustable accelerator and brake pedals are available on SLT and Limited models. On Limited, their positioning can be stored for recall by the memory system, allowing for two drivers to have unique, pre-programmed settings.

POWER/MEMORY SEAT
The memory seat module receives input from the 8-way power seat switch, the driver seat position sensors, adjustable pedal control circuits (switch, sensor, and motor), and the data bus circuit. The memory switch, is wired to the memory mirror module which sends the message over the data bus.

The memory seat module performs the following functions:

• Positions the driver seat (vertical, horizontal, and recliner positions) and adjustable pedals.
  • Sends the memory save or recall (#1 or #2) command over the data bus circuit to the memory mirror modules, HVAC, and radio.
  • Provides for "linking" the key FOBs to memory.
  • Provides for the easy entry/exit feature.
  • Provides the tilt mirrors in reverse feature

When a memory button is pressed (#1 or #2) on the memory switch, the driver door memory mirror module sends a recall message to the memory seat module (MSM). Then the MSM will position the driver seat and adjustable pedals to its preprogrammed location/setting. When the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) Transmitter button is pressed, depending on which transmitter (#1 or #2), the SKREEM (RKE Receiver) sends the recall request and FOB number (#1 or #2) data message. This RKE transmitter function depends on if the MSM is programmed to trigger the recall (linked FOBs).

A memory setting is saved by pressing the "set " button, then pressing either the memory "1" or "2" button within 5 seconds of pressing the "set" button.

A memory setting is recalled by pressing either the memory "1" or "2" button, or by pressing the unlock button on a "linked" Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter.

For driver safety, memorized settings can not be recalled if the transmission is in any position other than park or the seat belt is latched.

A key FOB is "linked" to a memory setting by pressing the "set" button and then pressing either the memory "1" or "2" button within 5 seconds of pressing the set button, then by pressing the "lock" button on the selected key FOB.

Easy Entry and Exit provides the driver with more room for entry or exit from the vehicle. The Easy Entry and Exit feature is disabled when the vehicle leaves the factory. An authorized dealer can enable this feature. Operation of the Easy Entry and Exit function is as follows:

• If the seat is in a memorized position, it will move back a predetermined distance when the driver removes the key from the ignition switch. This new position for the seat is the Easy Exit position for that driver. The seat may not move to an easy entry/exit position, if it is already position at or behind a predetermined point for the seat. This limited travel avoids obstructed customer exit/entry from behind the driver's rear door post.
  • The seat will move forward to a memory position when the driver turns the vehicle's ignition switch out of the LOCK position.
  • The tilt mirrors in reverse feature provides for tilting the sideview (outside) mirrors down a predetermined angle, providing a better view of the ground next to the rear portion of the vehicle. The tilt mirrors in reverse feature is disabled when the vehicle leaves the factory. An authorized dealer can enable this feature. Operation of the tilt mirrors is as follows:
  • Sideview mirrors will tilt down when the vehicle transmission is shifted into Reverse.
  • Sideview mirrors will return to the original position when the vehicle transmission is shifted out of Reverse.

ADJUSTABLE PEDALS
The pedals swing on a large arc, the radius and angle of which were selected on the basis of ergonomic studies, that puts them in the proper position for use by the smaller driver - higher and angled upward as well as rearward. Powered by the small electric motor driving a gear train at each pedal, adjustment is precise, quiet, and smooth throughout the range. A paddle-type switch on the instrument panel to the left of the steering column actuates the electric motor-driven mechanism through the memory seat module (MSM). Pushing up the paddle brings the pedals closer and vice versa. Movement stops when the switch is released. MSM logic prevents pedal adjustment when the automatic speed control (cruise control) is set (controlling speed), and when the transmission is in reverse. This feature protects against a loss of reference position when neither foot is on the pedal.

the 2 plugs and that cluster of wires at the seat go quite a few different places, The memory seat switch is door mounted, then some wires go to the airbag system, some to the adjust pedals etc you likely do not have, Your truck does not have all those options nor wiring harness. It just can not be done without removing harnesses etc from a similar vehicle. You cant send just power and ground to the module wires and it will work, Do you have the door panel with the memory seat switch? , that is only one items you will need, Just too complex and no way I see it being done, best to have non memory seats, Sorry for the bad news but.. it was not an option on your truck and adding now? too complex, if it can even be done, Just not something we do

Dang... Is it possible to manually adjust power seats?

all one can do is look at the diagrams I snt for memory seats, locate the wires colors to each motor for say vertical, horizontall and rcline, put ground lead to one wire, power to the other at whatever motor yoiu want to move and when you do? it will work one direction, reverse the leads at each motor and it will go the other direction

Randall C
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Technician