Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Having issues with my Dodge Ram code p0882

Customer Question

Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's stuck on limp mode I've already replaced the tipm and the pcm but no luck I was diagnosed at a dealer but yet they can't give me a definite answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a v6 ram 1500 3.7 magnum
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! If the TIPM and PCM have been replaced, I would suspect a wiring issue between the two components causing this code and keeping the transmission stuck in limp mode.

Theory of Operation

The Transmission Control Output circuit is used to supply power to the Transmission Solenoid/TRS Assembly and to the PCM when in normal operating mode. The purpose of the Transmission Output circuit is to allow the Transmission Control System to turn off the power to the Transmission Solenoid/TRS Assembly in event that the transmission should need to be placed into “limp-in” mode due to a DTC.

After a PCM reset, (ignition switch turned to the run position, or after cranking the engine) the Transmission Control System verifies that the Transmission Output circuit is open by checking for voltage on the Transmission Output circuits before the Transmission Control System request for the circuit to be powered up. The request is sent by a direct circuit control from the PCM to the TIPM. If the Transmission Control System detects less that 3.0 volts when the output is commanded on, the DTC will set. Note: Inadequate Transmission Control Output voltage can also cause DTCs P0846, P0869, or P0871 to set. Repairing the P0882 fault should also eliminate the related DTCs.

When Monitored:
When the ignition is turned from "OFF" position to "RUN" position and/or the ignition is turned from "START" position to "RUN" position.

Set Condition:
This DTC is set when there is less than 3.0 volts present at the transmission control output circuits located in the Powertrain Control Module when the Transmission Control System request the power up of those circuits

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

To check the circuit, check the control to the transmission control output voltage, the Powertrain Control Module should supply power to the Dark Blue wire from pin 18 of the C4 connector to the Totally Integrated Power Module at start up. If there is a problem in the circuit, it will then release the power putting the transmission into limp in. When the PCM requests the circuit to be energized by the TIPM, the PCM is monitoring the return voltage from the solenoids on pins 19, 28 and 38 of the C4 connector. The PCM is looking for battery voltage through the winding of the solenoids.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer. I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance? Let me know!

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

It's Amedee from just answer. I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer. I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?