Jon
Jon, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge Tech
62301042

2003 DODGE DAKOTA REPLACED ENGINE NOW BATTERY LIGHT ON ALL

Customer Question

2003 DODGE DAKOTA REPLACED ENGINE NOW BATTERY LIGHT ON ALL THE TIME AFTER TWO DAYS REPLACED TWO ALTERNATORS STILL SAME PROMBLEM
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.

Hi, not knowing what engine you have, I can't tell you which wire is which but the 2 pin connector going to the alternator, one should have power and one should have ground in most cases. If you can tell me what engine you have, I can give you wire colors to check and which should have what.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

IT HAS 4.7 IN IT. THANK YOU

Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.

ok, the dark green should have a power with the engine idling and the black/red should have a good ground. The dark green comes from connector 2 (gray) pin 19 at the pcm. If that power isn't at the alternator, check it at idle at that pin at the pcm. If it's not there, you need a new pcm.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OKTHEN WHERE DOES THIS GET ITS GROUND FROM THE CUSTOMER STTES HIS AC WORKED BEFORE WE REPLACED THE ENGINE TO IT TO HAS THE SAME PROBLEM BOTH WIRES GOING TO AC COMP ARE HOT

Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.

The compressor ground is g105, the alternator ground is g115. They are different grounds. Are you checking the compressor ground with it plugged in? If so, that's where you are getting the "hot" on the ground side. It is going through the coil in the compressor. Unplug the compressor clutch and the ground should be there.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK ONE TECH TOOK GROUND RAN FROM ECM AND THE OTHER END OF THAT ALTERNATOR IT NOW CHARGES AND NO BATTERY LIGHT ON WILL THIS HARM ANYTHING OR THIS NOW SHOWS A ON SENSOR CODE AND IT NOW RUNS LIKE CRAP COULD THIS BE FROM THIS WAY OF GROUNDING IT

Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.

I'm not sure what you just asked. If you grounded the ground to the alternator in a different place, no, that won't hurt anything. I'll be up for a little longer tonight if you'd like to discuss on the phone, if not I can tomorrow also.

Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.

They do and there are 90 degree bends at the end of each fin and I've seen them rot just the 90's off and it's just like a Chinese star spinning. I'm not positive that's the deal with yours though. How old does the pump look from the outside?

Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for the last response, that was for another customer.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK JON ON THIS TRUCK THERE ARE LIKE 6 CODES COMING UP MOST ARE O.2 SENSORS THE OTHER IS EGR VALVE THIS TRUCK RAN GREAT FOR THREE DAYS AFTER WE REPLACED ENGINE NOW ITS RUNNING LIKE CRAP

Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.

What are the codes you're getting? And did the PCM recently get replaced with a reman Mopar PCM?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

FOUR OF THEM ARE O2 CODES 1/1 1/2 2/1 2/2 AND ONE IS EGR CODE THE LAST IS TRANSMISSION MIL

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

P0058 P0038 P0032 P0622 P0403 P0300 P0700

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

WE ALSO TRIED TO UNHOOK THAT EXTRA GROUND MADE NO DIFFERENCE OK THANKS

Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.

The first 3 are 02 heater codes, P0622 is generator field circuit, P0300 is multiple cylinder misfire (probably a result of how it's running). Reman NGC PCM's are common to have all 4 heater codes set. If you're sure all 02 sensors are hooked up and are good, it's most likely a bad PCM. I would get one from the dealer with a part # ***** starts with RL not R. I've gotten 4 bad R NGC PCM's out of the box in a row before. The RL PCM's are new, not reman. I'm not showing a listing for a P0403 for an 03 Dakota with a 4.7.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK WE FOUND ONE O.2 SENSOR WAS UNHOOKED FROM BEFORE ALSO ONE CODE WAS A EGR THE TRANS CODE WAS A OLD ONE WOULD A BAD EGR CAUSE THIS PROBLEM ???SEE THIS ENGINE RAN PERFECT FOR THREE DAYS AFTER THE ENGINE SWAMP THEN ALL THIS STUFF.........THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP ALSO

Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.

No problem, The only way the egr would make it run poor is if it was stuck open. And even if it was stuck open, it would run ok off idle. It would just idle poorly or stall but run fine at higher rpm's. I don't show a listing for P0403 like I said, can you recheck that code?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

JON WHAT ABOUT THE O.2 SENSORS CAN THIS CAUSE IT TO RUN LIKE CRAP NO POWER IDELS UP AND DOWN

Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.

Sure it could.

Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.

2 tests you can try on the 02 sensors: unplug it, it should go to 5.00 volts on your scanner. Short the 02 signal wire to ground, it should go to 0.00 volts. For the 02 heater (the other 2 wires on the 02 sensor), Actuate the 02 heater with your scanner, you should have power and ground at those other 2 wires.

Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.

Hi, did you try those tests on the 02 sensor?