Tom
Tom, ASE Master Certified
Experience:  Chrysler Level 3 Technician, Chrysler Training Instructor
20300296

2007 nitro A/C compressor not coming on an code P1275 is on

Customer Question

2007 nitro A/C compressor not coming on an code P1275 is on I have already changed cycle switch
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.

Hi, my nae is Tom and I'll try to help you with the AC concern on your Nitro.

Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.

Do you have an ohm meter by any chance? The code that you have is set during an overcurrent condition which can be the result of a shorted coil. I'd like to get an ohm reading of the clutch coil and go from there. Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok check the ohms at the disconnected compressor what is the reading so post to be
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.

4 ohms is preferred

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It has 03.1 or 03.2
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.

Ok, that's a low resistance reading which would cause too much current. Just to double check, did you ever get power to the clutch with ac turned on?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I changed the pressure switch it clicked off on twice an every now an then while testing at first when put direct it will cool down an high speed fan comes on
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.

Ok, that sounds like the system is operating correctly. Fan should come on anytime AC is turned on. To cover all bases, is the system charged the correct amount?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No never no power
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.

what scan tool do you have that you read the code with?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Autel maxisys
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.

Not sure if you can open this diagram

Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.

Is it able to read data? Specifically the ambient air temp sensor?

Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.

Does it have an actuator function. The factory tool is able to command the ac clutch on. That will tell you if the driver is working

Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.

There is no fuse for the ac clutch on this system. It uses a driver in the TIPM to power the clutch coil. If current is too high it will turn the driver off instead of a fuse blowing. Other things that will keep it from powering up are: low charge, high charge, low ambient temp reading (below 30) or bad reading, evaporator temp reading, other PCM related codes may also keep the AC from being powered.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I got current to compressor correctly if I disconnect compressor than when I connect compressor current cuts off could the compressor be bad
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.

Yes, that is also a possibility if the compressor is locked up internally the clutch coil current would spike. you should be able to turn the compressor by spinning the outside plate of the clutch. (not the pulley)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can u comfrey please
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.

Sorry didn't understand your last post

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is in response to my last text. Can you say compressor is bad
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.

Yes, compressor is bad if you can't turn it by hand

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No Tom with compressor connectedthe current cuts off with current disconnected current don't cut off
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I'm following you. If it cuts off as soon as you plug it in then the clutch coil is shorted or the compressor is locked up. I was asking if you can physically turn the clutch plate by hand. That will tell you if the compressor is locked up because the clutch plate is directly connected to the compressor internals

Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.

If you feel that the question was answered completely then please accept the answer and leave positive feedback. This way the question can be updated and I can be paid thru the website for the time spent helping you. This is the way that the experts on this site get compensated. You can still reply back at anytime on this question even after leaving the positive feedback and accepting the answer. Thanks for letting me help you.