Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Is there a solution a Caravan where the PRNDL lights are all

Customer Question
Hi Brad - is there...
Hi Brad - is there a solution for fixing a Caravan where the PRNDL lights are all lit and van won't change gears? Thanks!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/23/2015
Dodge Mechanic: bill, dodge master tech replied 2 years ago
bill
bill, dodge master tech
hi i'm bill
welcome to just answer
please remember I am NOT there in front of you! my answers are based on your information.
well that means there are codes stored in either the engine computer or trans computer, OR there is a loss of communication with the trans computer you will need a good scan tool to pull the codes, do you have them or the codes?
I'm not sure what you mean by a scan tool. Is that something I buy at an auto store? Or do I connect my laptop to the car somehow? Or is there some other way to get these codes? Thanks
no you need a technician's scan tool this tool allows the tech to read codes, read the data the computers are "seeing" and perform the proper diagnosis,there is no magic fix here you need the fault codes the computers have in their memory, to get them a scan tool is required, NOT just a code reader, there are many different ones on the market BUT the ones the tech uses are several thousands of dollars, simple code readers can read codes only and NOT every code in every computer, with all the squares on and no shifting(the trans is in limp home mode) there are fault codes stored and they must be retrieved.
there are literally hundreds of codes that can be stored and often more than one are stored, these codes are the STARTING point in a diagnosis
Bill - I just read the following codes on my 2001 Caravan - I hope this helps you determine what's up. In order, the codes are:
P1684, P1034, P0500, P1698, P0135, P0442, P0455 - then I get the "done" message. Are these codes at all helpful?Thanks...Marc
you did the old key dance which only pulls ENGINE codes, but what you have is,
p1684 no code available not a Chrysler code BUT I have heard it to be battery was disconnected so ignore that one.
p1034 also not in the Chrysler database
p0500 no vehicle speed signal
p1698 NO BUS message from trans control module, this means the trans computer is not communicating with the engine computer, all the computers communicate on a bus (think old school phone lines) when one fails to communicate a code is set, many causes here including BUT NOT limited to a failed trans computer, wiring or any shorted trans sensor.
p0135 is 1/1 o2 sensor heater failure, likely a bad upstream o2 sensor or a aftermarket bosch one is being used, bosch sensors do not work properly in our cars for some reason
p0442 and p0455 are both evaporative emissions leaks the p0442 is medium leak and the p0455 is large leak again many causes here from bad gas cap to a cracked emissions line anything that can cause the fuel tank and its lines to not be sealed will set this code as well as wiring issues.
now the p1698 is likely why the trans will not shift and all the lights are on this will require some serious testing and IF a trans computer has failed the computer will require programming to your van, BUT wiring is common as well on that generation van especially in the colder states where there is a lot of road salt used, I am in new England and wiring is more common than anything else
Jerry, Master Mechanic