Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I am working on a 2009 Dodge 3500 crew cab with the follow

Customer Question
error codes: "P242F, P1451, P0593"...
I am working on a 2009 Dodge 3500 crew cab with the follow error codes: "P242F, P1451, P0593". Need to get all codes romoved and check engine light off. I know that I can buy a programmer to do an "EGR & DPF DELETE" for a lot of money - not interested. Seen a youtube video of a guy claiming "Homemade .99 cent Dodge Cummins Code Free DPF Delete 6.7L Ram" with a few resistors. Although have not been able to connect to their web page for step by step instructions. So I am looking for a knowledgeable Dodge diesel tech that can assist me step by step to fix issues and remove check engine light and codes.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
8/23/2015
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
P242F sets when the ECM perceives there is excessive ash in the particulate filter.
P1451 is for particulate filter performance.
P0593 is for a cruise control switch issue and not related.
The particulate filter codes are setting either because of an inaccurate pressure sensor reading or because the particulate filter is restricted. Pressure sensor issues do sometimes happen and the sensors should be looked at to make sure they both show the same pressure with the engine off, but this is almost certainly a restricted DPF. If the scan tool wouldn't allow a stationary regeneration it was either a software issue or the codes had been cleared. The codes have to be active to allow stationary regeneration to start.
If the particulate filter had been pressure washed internally and these codes were still setting afterward then there is little chance that it won't need to be replaced. Either there was ash that could not be removed manually or the material inside may have been damaged with the pressure washer.
What pressure sensors are you speaking of?
What are the first steps I should take to correct codes P0593, P1451 and P242F?
The differential pressure sensor measures pressure at the DPF inlet and outlet. It's mounted on the right side of the trans and has tubes going to the exhaust. The first step in diagnosing the problem is looking at the sensor signals with the engine off to see if they are the same as each other and they can be compared to baro and boost pressure.
If the sensors are correct then a stationary regeneration should be done. If the codes reset then the DPF will need to be replaced.
P0593 is for the cruise switches and is almost surely a failed switch. At the time the cruise isn't working/code is active the airbag would be removed, the reference and sensor ground verified at the cruise switch connectors. The resistances of the switches can also be tested.
Why would I not check the before and after 02 sensors the turbo speed sensor and clean or replace them? When you say the "RIGHT SIDE OF THE TRANS" do you mean the drivers or passenger side of the truck? Also... I do not have a service manual for this truck and need to know what resistance and so forth. Thanks
The oxygen sensors and turbo speed sensor are not related to the problem you are having.
If you're in the US and the truck is left hand drive then the right side of the trans is the passenger side.
The cruise on/off switch should show 20.3-20.7K ohms without the switch pressed. Unfortunately this is the only resistance spec the service information lists. If you find the 5v reference and sensor ground are ok then you can test resistance, you'll likely find it's open or out of this range. If so then replace the switch; if the reference and ground are ok then the switch has to be the issue.
I appreciate the information you already submitted but it's basic. The only reason I have submitted my question yesterday and selected to pay top dollar for fast response and step by step help was because that is what I need in fixing this issue. As stated in my listing "I am looking for a knowledgeable Dodge diesel tech that can assist me step by step to fix issues and remove check engine light and codes". Please send me a PDF of the service manual that you are looking at, so we can be on the same page? I have never worked on a Dodge let alone the DPF or EGR system. Now as for buying another DPF ($2500) not interested. Also as I stated in my first question I found a youtube video of a guy deleting the DPF (with straight pipe in place of the DPR and some resistors to keep the computer from setting codes) to clear codes and check engine light. You can go to youtube and type in "Homemade .99 cent Dodge Cummins Code Free DPF Delete 6.7L Ram" to see if you can locate the step by steb information of resistors and were to connect them. I understand that cummins had a class action brought against them on the DPF & EGR for 2007 -2010.
I'm not able to post directly from the service information due to copyright. I did explain the procedure that needs to be followed in two posts. The pressure sensors need to be verified accurate, and if correct then a regeneration needs to be done followed by replacing the DPF if that doesn't fix it.
Disabling or removing emissions components is a federal offense and not something I or any professional can recommend or assist with.
Do you own a Dodge 1 ton?
I do not.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I'm unable to talk on the phone.
As for your two post, I have already done before posting. Not sure why you decided to take this question. I had stated in my first message that I already tested with my scanner and tried to force a regeneration. Well... unfortunately it is clear that you are unable to help me. I would hate to rate you with one star, so what is the next step? I either need a tech that owns a Dodge crew cab 1ton and knows about this issue with Cummins or a refund.
As I mentioned earlier if it wouldn't allow a regeneration it was either the scan tool software or the codes had already been cleared and had not yet set again. It will not allow a stationary regen unless the DPF codes are active, and no other problems are present. The first step is to check the pressure sensors, if ok then a regeneration needs to be done. If you're unable to do it with your equipment under the correct conditions then a dealer is going to be necessary. If the codes return after a regen then the DPF needs to be replaced.
Not owning the vehicle in question does not reflect on a technician's capabilities or mean that they are not able to help you. I am the top performing expert in the Chrysler categories on this site, the administration appointed Mentor of the Chrysler categories, and one of the top trained Chrysler techs in the nation.
The truck only has 103000 miles and should not have these kind of problems. It was a big scam with Dodge. That is why there was a class action. So... I am not interested in buying some programmer for an outrageous amount of money nor buy a brand new DPF for $2500+ to fix this engineering problem. Not too mention when it can be corrected for less then $100. If you work for a dealer, you know as well as I do all of the service advisor scams to extract more money from customers. Plus other dealership issues. No... not owning the vehicle in question does not reflect your capabilities but it is my request. Thank you.
The DPF is a consumable part just like any other filter and they do need to be replaced periodically throughout the life of a vehicle. This is true of any DPF on any vehicle but maybe that wasn't made clear by your salesman.
I don't know of any experts on this site that currently own the exact truck you drive but your question is open for others. If someone wishes to help they will respond here, replying in the mean time will direct the question back to me.
sprinkles08
sprinkles08