sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2010 dodge avenger sxt 2.4 done and replaced throttle body

Customer Question

2010 dodge avenger sxt 2.4 done and replaced throttle body with a brand new one. still getting ect shut down and hardly any throttle response before the ect shuts the car off
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
phone number is(###) ###-####
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
I've seen a handful of failed throttle motor drivers within the powertrain control module cause continued issues after replacing the throttle body on these, but it looks like you have a bigger issue than just an electronic throttle control problem. A throttle body issue won't cause the engine to die. You are most likely losing spark or fuel if the engine is actually dying.
The first step in diagnosing the problem is seeing what fault codes are stored. Do you know what P codes are currently setting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are no codes my scanner is saying pcm not accepting throttle plate but when testing throttle plate ther is a responce

Can you explain exactly what symptoms you're having?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when the throttle error light comes on it shuts the car down and I have to unhook the battery and computer to reset it after letting it set over night hook them back up and the car well run for about 20 mints then the throttle light comes back on and the car shuts down
You're clearing the codes when you disconnect the battery.
The first thing you need to do is determine what codes are setting. Drive it until the problem happens and then codes need to be read while it's in the non starting state, before turning the key off or disconnecting the battery.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no codes all I get is the sign that says throttle problem and then it shuts down
The ETC light is on with the engine running correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when that light comes on it shuts the engine down and it wont restart till I rest the computer like I said
Does the ETC light come on before or after the engine dies?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
every time
I know the light comes on but is it before or after the engine dies?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
right when the light comes on not before no\t after with in a second of the light coming on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its not a fuel problem or a sensoer problem it is the pcm not reading the throttle plate same problem that avengers been having since 2008
The ETC light will always come on if the engine dies. If it doesn't come on before the engine dies then you don't have an ETC issue.
An ETC problem will not cause the engine to die.
What happens when you attempt to restart the engine after it dies?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothen no restart and if it does then I runs rough if that was the cast with the light then it would reset it self after the key was cycled on and off
Does the starter not engage?
Does it crank but not start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
crank no start
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just went through this with a 2006 Chrysler 300 but it was a piece of the mechanical side of the ignition switch broke because of the cheap material it was made out of it fried the starter

Is it missing spark, fuel pressure, or injector pulse?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
none of that it gets great fuel pressure spark and the injectors are opening and closing

If the engine dies it's missing spark or fuel or possibly it has an exhaust restriction.

Has backpressure been checked and what was the reading if so?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
everything you are coming up with is all good

If the engine is dying you're losing spark, fuel, or it's dying because the engine can't breathe because of an exhaust restriction.