Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Shift cable

Customer Question
shift cable
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
8/22/2015
Dodge Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 2 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
HI,
Are you trying to adjust it or replace it?
Automatic or manual transmission?
What size engine?
I just replaced the CVT. 2.4L automatic. seems to be in low
how can I tell if the transmission is in the right gear?

HI,

Ok, I have uploaded directions to adjust the shift cable. As to telling what gear, the transmission range switch usually has the gears labeled on it(PNR1234). If not, then you would need a scan tool with live data to tell what gear the transmission range switch is actually in.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Eric; there is a ticking noise & it seems like its in low gear. I bought a reman the converter was factory installed and came with a temp.brace
HI,
Ok, place it in Drive and see what position the transmission range switch shows to be in. If it is not showing to be in Drive, then you need to adjust the cable.
If it is, then this could be an issue with it being in reduced power mode, which in that case, we need to scan for fault codes. Or it could be that the transmission you got is defective due to bad remanufacturing job or defective parts
Eric; trouble codes; pressure control B, crankshaft position, transmission control malfunction, manufacture control pending
HI,
Ok, check the wiring to the transmission for any signs of crimping or breaks due to wiring harness being caught on something during the transmission installation.
If ok, then either the solenoid is faulty or the tcm is faulty, but if these codes were not present before the transmission installation, we can safely assume it is the solenoid. This means it is a defective part installed when the remanufacture company rebuilt this particular transmission and therefore should be covered by their warranty.
You will need to call them on how to handle it. Some will only warranty if you pull the tranny and send it back to them. Some will ship you a new solenoid and reimburse you for the labor, and some will have you buy the solenoid and you send them repair order and they reimburse you for the cost of the part and labor.
The cranksensor code may simply be due to the transmission issue, so this should be resolved first. Then if the crank code returns, replace it.
Eric; the fluid I put in is for cvt, but dodge says to use cvtf+ 4. also I put in 7 quarts, I believe it holds 9. The note that came with the transmission says it is partially full of fluid. could there be too much?
How do you check the fluid level. there is no dipstick.
HI,
the cvt fluid is fine for it. If there was too much fluid, usually you have slippage, just like if there is too little fluid, not being stuck in low gear. It wouldnt hurt to check the level, but I dont believe this is the issue.
There is a dipstick tube with a cap on it. You have to buy a special dipstick from Chrysler to use with this. It has markings on it that you compare to a chart that corresponds to fluid temperature, which is monitored with scan tool. It is a pain on this one
While possible it could be the wiring harness being crimped from installation, I more suspect that this is simply a defective pressure control solenoid. If stuck, the pressures are incorrect and wont allow it to shift out of low.
Eric; where is the solenoid located?
HI,
It is part of the solenoid/pressure switch pack assembly, which is itself incorporated into the valve body. Which means you have to remove the whole valve body assembly, which means pulling the transmission again.
Personally, I would call the manufacturer and have another transmission sent. You dont know what else may be defective in this one that might fail shortly down the road. I would hate to pull the transmission, replace the valve body, then 1000 miles down the road have something else fail and have to pull again.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager