Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

I have a 03 Dodge Caravan, It has 65000 miles, last month it

Customer Question

Hi Chris, I have a 03 Dodge Caravan, It has 65000 miles, for the last month it has been dying pretty frequently but it starts right back up. No engine codes. It has been with a mechanic for 2 days and of course it won't die on him
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you! When does it die, at a stop when slowing down, or at speed going down the freeway?
Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All of the above. We made a 150 mile trip and it stalled about every 30 miles on the highway. The other day it stalled twice in a 5 mile trip both times at stop signs. The mechanics have had it for 2 days and can't get it to stall
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
Ok, gotcha. There are 3 common causes for this. 1 a failing crank shaft position sensor, 2 a failing cam shaft position sensor, and 3 a failing PCM (engine computer). Either one can act up when the engine warms up. If there are no codes at all, then suspect a failing PCM and have it replaced. Another clue that it is a PCM is the OBD2 readiness monitors will reset back to a "not ready" or incomplete" status, so ask the guys at the shop to check that
Hope this information helps, and let me know if you need more assistance with this.
Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply.
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After a week in one shop with no success we took it to a dodge dealer who had it for 2 weeks and decided it was a fuel pump. We picked it up yesterday and it died once this morning. Not looking good. Dodge says they seldom have to replace the computer.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

That is strange they would say that. I work at a Dodge dealer and see computers on these vans fail. Replacing it usually takes care of it. Do you have another dealer to go to?

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No other dealer here. Nearest about 35 miles, not bad. It's definitely not fixed. Back to the shop Tuesday
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Ok, well reread my first reply regarding the OBD readiness monitors and ask the shop to check those after it stalls out again. I still think that the PCM or cam or crank sensor is causing the problem.

Chris