-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

I want to know if it is a good Idea to replace the intake

Customer Question

Brad I want to know if it is a good Idea to replace the intake Man. on my Or hemi Durango As I hear they can crack and leak water into the eng and cause eng . cyl. to suck in water.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!!! My name is***** a 16 Yr Dodge dealership technician and I will be helping you with your question today...
If your not having any issues I would not replace it. The only time is needed to be replaced is when you have a catastrophic engine damage..
Brad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you are telling me to wait for my eng to blow up be for I do any thing !! you must be crazy , I want to try and prevent a catastopic eng. failure caused by the intake Manifold failure. So far you are not helping .I will get rid of the car befor It blows up .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
There is no routine Maintance for the upper plenum.. Where are you getting this information from? There isn't even any water going thru the plenum...
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

If you will feel more secure replacing it then feel free to do so but it's not required.. What is the last 8 of your VIN?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have read a number of reports that water can run down off the windshield onto the top of the eng. and get into the intake plenum or intake manifold then get sucked into the eng. causing it to fill a cyl with water and then of course you have a blow motor. So to prevent this I want to know what to replace, the plenum or the intake manif. ? Or is their a way to inspect these componets for a possible defect .
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

I just went and looked up a 2004 Durango-5.7 and there are no bulletins or cases of water entering the engine. The only way water could possibly enter the engine and cause damage is in the throttlebody or a leaking intake gasket.. So if your worried about something you read somewhere then I would replace the intake gaskets to ensure a good fit. Anytime I have to remove the upper plenum I replace the gaskets because they are rubber and they will get swollen up and not seal properly..

But in all reality I have never had one suck in water as you speak because of a cowl panel, but the most common issue on the older HEMI engines are the broken valve springs...

Let me know if this helps,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have seen this problem posted on different sites where Durangos were in a bad rain storm and this problem has shown up. If its true what do you think is the likly cause. I ref. serv. bulletin # *****
i
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im asking because Im trying to decide if its time to send a car that has been very good to me down the road and get a new car befor the Durango cost me a lot of money . AT 130 k Miles what would you do ? Thanks for your help, Noel
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

The Star case you posted is what I was telling you about.. I attached it so you can read it..

Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Like I said, if your worried about it then I would replace the gaskets so just incase the cowl does allow some water to get to the top of the engine so it can't be sucked up in the engine...

But other than that I wouldn't get rid of the Durango as they are very good vehicles...

I hope this helps,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just one more thing Brad, whats the valve spring issue you mentioned.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

The valve spring issue is the most common issue with the older HEMi engines and the issue was the valve springs were breaking causing a misfire.. So if you ever experience a misfire and a tuneup doesn't fix it, check compression and then pull the valvecover and inspect the springs...

Glad I could help and thank you for the positive rating,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, Have a good one
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome!!!!

And don't forget to rate so I'm credited for my time..