Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

93 Dodge van 250 replaced all components still no spark

Customer Question
93 Dodge van 250 replaced...
93 Dodge van 250 replaced all components for spark still no spark
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
8/12/2015
Dodge Mechanic: Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician

Hi there. Welcome to our site.

I'm a little confused on how specifically I can help you; can you clarify whether you're just seeking an educated guess on what could be wrong, or are you looking for technical guidance on how to fix the issue yourself – if the latter, must have tools and basic mechanical skills?

Hi Juan I am looking for a fix to get my son back on the road I am a mechanic but have no scanner using what skills I know I'm confused I even purchased an automatic shut down relay replaced the wires plugs coil starter spins

The auto shut down relay powers up the coils and the injectors, the computer controls ground circuits to both.

You can get codes without a code reader; just turn the ignition switch ON, OFF, ON, OFF and ON without ever starting the engine. Then look at the Check Engine Light and count the flashes. For example, code 12 is going to be one flash, a short pause, then two more flashes.

Besides that, you'll need a fuel pressure tester (available from Advance, Autozone and O'Reillys as a loaner) and a Noid light to check for injector pulse.

Also, when you say "replaced all components", can you tell me what exactly was replaced?

I replaced auto shutdown relay coil wires and plugs I gapped plugs at 0.35

We seem not to be communicating effectively since you're not sharing all the information I require. Would you rather work with another expert?

I'll opt out and re-open your question so other experts can chime in. Please don't reply until another expert responds or the site will revert the question back to me.

Best Regards.

Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 2 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. THe most common cause of a no spark condition (caused by no power to the ignition coil.. because the coil itself could be bad.. are you sure you have checked this?) would be a bad camshaft position sensor or crankshaft position sensor. The crank sensor should be located on the transmission bell housing and the cam sensor is inside the distributor (because the distributor rides off of the camshaft). Also, you will need to check to ensure that the computer is awake with the key on. Be sure that the check engine light comes on for a bulb check and that the TPS and MAP sensor have 5 volts going to them with the key on. Also, dont forget to check for 2 powers going to the ASD relay with the key on and cranking.

Hello!
It's Amedee from just answer. I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?
Let me know!
Amede
Amedee I finally got back to working on this thing so far I'm having problem with volts still have no spark my son brought over CMP Sensor TP sensor cap rotor still no 5 volt on TP or Map oh by the way the engine light he said it never work but the engine ran fine for two years any ideas Anyway to check the ECM with ohmmeter Thanks for your time
Because the ECM sends out 5 volts to the TPS with the key on and we are NOT getting that, we know the ECM is not awake with the key on. So, we need to start by checking all powers and grounds going into the ECM with the key on. This includes all power from all fuses, fusible links and even from the ignition switch.
Hello!
Let me know!
Amedee
Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician