sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

04 dodge durango with 5.7 hemi. I was cruising down the

Customer Question

04 dodge durango with 5.7 hemi. I was cruising down the interstate when suddenly the engine cut out. It was rather dramatic in that I immediately thought the engine blew. The RPM gauge was falling and the check engine light came on and the chimer dinged. Before I could get pulled over, it came back to but the check engine light flashed and the chimer continued dinging. I decided I was just a few miles from home so I continued on with it stumbling and seemingly under powered intermittently. By the time I got to the exit, the engine seemed to be running fine, but the check engine light continued to flash. I check the codes and get P0315 and P0335. Is all of this from a bad sensor?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
Both of these codes have been set by an erratic signal from the crank sensor. The crank sensor is on the right rear of the engine block and reads from a tone wheel on the crank to monitor crank speed and positron. The crank sensor is the main input needed for spark. It's signal was erratic and caused spark to be erratic or intermittent which is why it ran the way it did.
This could be a wiring or connection issue but is almost surely the sensor. If the wining and sensor connection look visibly ok then replacing the sensor will almost surely take care of the problem.