sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

My friend's left rear door lock button fell into the hole

Customer Question

My friend's left rear door lock button fell into the hole and the door will not open at all. The right rear door lock will not allow the door to unlock remotely or by the control on the right front. I was searching for answers. Thanks!
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
The left door could just be a linkage problem but if the door wont open after using the power locks then it most likely has a failed lock actuator. The right door also has a failed actuator.
The lock actuator is the solenoid mounted on the door latch that controls power locks. They can start to become stiff as they fail and progress to not unlocking. If the lock rod can't be moved by hand then the actuator has failed. The door panel will need to be removed, the actuator broken up until the door can be unlocked manually, the door opened and the latch removed, and the actuator replaced.
On the left door the panel will need to be removed to see if there is a linkage problem, if a linkage problem isn't found then the same will apply to that door.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How is a linkage problem addressed?
That depends on what the issue is. It could be a broken pivot near the front of the door or a broken rod attaching clip at the pivot or latch.