Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have an 06 dodge charger with the 5.7L V8 hemi... i

Customer Question
replaced the crank shaft position...
i have an 06 dodge charger with the 5.7L V8 hemi... i replaced the crank shaft position sensor and its still not wanting to stay on! am i missing something?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
8/2/2015
Dodge Mechanic: Chris, Shop Foreman replied 2 years ago
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you!Are you still getting the same crank shaft position sensor code since you replaced the sensor?
Chris
well i can't get the car to stay on long enough to take it back to orielys to run the computer on it again... But it keeps dying like it did before i replaced the sensor

Ok, well just FYI, I have seen issues with some after market crank and cam sensors. Also, I have seen issues with the camshaft position sensor causing the crank sensor to set a code. (the 2 sensors share the same 5 volt reference). So what I recommend is to replace BOTH sensors, and if you can, purchase OEM Mopar sensors from the Dodge dealer. If the problem continues, then it is most likely a PCM (engine computer) that is causing this problem.

Chris

would the pcm messing up cause my interior lights dim by themselves? meaning my head lights and tail lights are at normal brightness but my dashboard lights dim low and back high on there own with lights on?

No. The PCM is only responsible for engine systems. The dashboard lights are controlled by the instrument cluster. So it would be a bad cluster or the headlight switch causing that

Chris

ok so to get everything straightened out... by replacing my crankshaft position sensor 1. it could be that it was a bad sensor 2. by replacing the crankshaft sensor i should probably go ahead and change the camshaft sensor as well and 3. if camshaft and crankshaft are in working condition it could be the pcm is messing up? now could a fuel pump/filter cause any of the shutting off problems aswell? reason i ask is because the car smells of burnt gas after it shuts off and feels like its not getting enough fuel... i might be wrong but now that you are saying the pcm might be messed up it could be something else

That is correct, but if you can, try to get the OEM Mopar sensors instead of the after market ones. Fuel pump/filter causing this? I doubt it. Usually when a fuel pump fails, it fails for good and the engine would never start.

Chris

i replaced the cam shaft sensor after you told me that i should probably replace it... now the car starts but doesn't stay on very long! but it does stay on longer than it was... unfortunately i couldn't get the oem mopar sensors! so would it be the pcm and if so how is there a way to check it at home since my car wont stay on long to make it to orielys to run a diagnostic check on it
Hmmm, let me look into this some more. By the way, any codes now?
Chris
well now im not getting a check engine light when it comes on so really cant get a code off of it... only light that comes on is the oil light! i just changed the oil and it needs about a qt left to finish going in so im on the safe line... that couldn't be the problem could it?
might i add... prior to me changing the crankshaft sensor my car over heated and my gauge never indicated it over heated! only reason i say it over heated was because there was a ton of heat radiating off of the motor and i wrapped a towel around my hand and removed water cap and spilt out over 3 gallons of water... i than refilled it with radiator fluid and water and it drove fine! but at the time that it was over heating on me i kept turning on the car and driving until it would shut off again! i would let it rest for about 10 mins turned it back on and drove until it turned off again... i did that until i could get to a gas station to be able to open radiator cap to let the pressure out!
Ok I see. Based on what you have now told me, I am thinking that the PCM is getting hot and then shuts down. The PCM is the engine computer. If there are no codes now, then suspect a faulty PCM like I mentioned in the beginning.
Chris
ok... ill check it after a bit and see if its the pcm!
if i replace the pcm wouldn't the new one get as hot as the old one? or are you meaning that when the car over heated it fried it and now that when it gets to hot it shuts off?
Well any PCM will get hot due to the temperature under the hood, but a bad PCM will fail under these temperatures. How long does it stay running?
Chris
Chris
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman