Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified
20625509

gh voltage and gh headlight on the Left side is burning

Customer Question

High voltage for low and high headlight on the Left side is burning the light bulb.

codes coming up for this issue has

B162C Left low beam control circuit to high

B1634 left high beam control circuit to high

Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 2 years ago.

Goood morning, my name is Ed. Welcome to JustAnswer!.

I think what the code is trying to tell us is that the high and low beam driver circuits are "high" because the ground circuit may be hindered or missing. Headlights are controlled by a dedicated driver for both high and low beam that comes from the TIPM. The ground (or return as this is called) circuit for both bulbs is also a TIPM function. I think what you're seeing when the bulbs initially begin working, then shut off, is the TIPM cutting power to the lamps when its circuit test reveals something wrong and sets a code.

Check the black-colored wire on your headlamp bulb connector for residual voltage when you first roll the headlamps on. If it shows more than a few tenths-of-a-volt, you have a current flow restriction or a broken wire that will be from that point to the TIPM. No residual voltage at all -- yet the bulbs won't light -- would make me think the problem is closer to the socket. Try to backprobe the socket if possible to get a reading right at the terminal. Light tugging on a suspected wire is a good way to tell if the copper conductor has snapped inside the insulation. A good wire will hold a great deal of pull effort, while a compromised one... won't. If it snaps, take consolation in that it was already broken, but you didn't know where.

Scan tool diagnostics are relied on heavily for problems of this sort, but we might be able to skirt that issue with a voltmeter, test light or just plain dumb luck. Let's see what the black wire has to tell us and we'll press on if needed.

Good luck!

Ed

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

is there a diagram for the left side headlight wiring to figure out point to point connections

There are diagrams, but the rights belong to Chrysler and they prohibit publication without consent... sort of like MLB. I have high expectations that you'll find your problem near the headlamp unit, however, so let's take a look there before going deeper (I could send more info privately using Additional Services, but that comes at extra expense). Each of the lamp filament drivers AND the return circuit go to different TIPM (fuse block) connectors, which does complicate things somewhat. There are no intermediate connectors between your headlamp and the TIPM, so I guess that's one less thing to worry about.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I cannot figure out without the diagrams. everything looks alright on the harrness

I'll opt out in case someone has diagrams for you, then.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.

I may be able to find a diagram but I need to know some more info on the vehicle such as the submodel and what engine.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.

For instance here is the diagram for 2012 RAM Pickup 5.7L Eng 1500