-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

Dodge ram: My 1997 dodge ram pu truck just dies. I wait a few

Customer Question

My 1997 dodge ram pu truck just dies. I wait a few minutes then it starts right up
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
When it stalls, are you loosing spark or fuel psi?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know. I haven't tested anything. I just know that it just dies. Then I wait a few minutes then it starts again
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
Ok here's what you need to do if you don't have a in line spark tester.. Try shooting some starting or carb cleaner in the breather and see if it will start.. If it does your fuel pump is going out and you will need to drop the tank to replace it.. If it does NOT then it's likely a spark issue and then I would replace the crankshaft sensor... It tells the PCM to fire the coil and it's common to fail. And the crankshaft sensor is in the bellhousing.. Let me know if you need anymore assistance,Brad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the bell housing located
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
HI,
The bellhousing I'm referring to is the transmission bellhousing.. You will need to crawl under the passenger side and look at about 2'O clock to see the crankshaft sensor..
Glad I could help,
Brad