Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  MO Safety/Emissions Certified on all makes and models with a strong electronics background aiding in electrical troubleshooting.
66997337

How do I replace the alternator on a dodge stratus? Thanks

Customer Question

How do I replace the alternator on a dodge stratus? Thanks Bill
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Bill! May I have the engine size in this Stratus?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
4cyl
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks! Unfortunately, Bill, the procedure I have for this vehicle isn't very detailed. Not quite sure it would be enough to get you though the job. Let me opt out and forward you to another Tech that may better assist you here. Sorry for the inconvenience. Sit tight one sec... someone will be right with you...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.Here are the instructions. Let me know if you need anything further and if not please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for it. ThanksREMOVAL - 4 CYLINDERDisconnect battery negative cable from remote negative terminal on shock towerRemove belt cover.Unplug field circuit from generator.Remove B+ terminal cover by spreading the cover with a small flat blade tool.Remove the B+ terminal wire and nutRaise vehicle and support.Remove the accessory drive splash shield.Remove the accessory drive belt, refer to the Cooling section for more information.Lower vehicle.Remove the MAP sensor from the intake manifold.Remove the generator bolts.Remove the generator from vehicle INSTALLATION - 4 CYLINDERInstall generator.Install bolts and tighten.Install MAP sensor and tighten bolts.Raise vehicle and support.Install the accessory drive belt, refer to the Cooling section for more information.Install the accessory drive splash shield.Lower vehicle.Install the B+ terminal wire and nutInstall B+ terminal cover.Plug in the field circuit to generator.Install belt cover.Install the negative battery cable.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you have any pictures? Not the pictures in the answer you gave for the 2006 stratus.Thanks Bill
What pictures do you need? I thought your car was an 05.. these instructions are for an 05.
How about a youtube video of the whole process? The pictures I have dont have much detail ...its just drawn images.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cyR1RJV_5E
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I already saw that video this morning. I was looking for something more detailed. In your reply it said to remove map sensor and belt cover in the video it wasn't mentioned. Also drain the fluid from the radiator in the video and remove the hose. I am no smarter now than I was this morning. All you did was confuse me with the first answer. Maybe you should have looked at the video and filled in the gaps like how the splash shield is removed. NOT HAPPY!!!
I can and will watch the video and fill in the gaps if you will let me know what all you need clarified. Just the splash shield and map sensor? I am certainly not a mind reader. I have to assume anyone considering tackling it has at least a basic understanding of things. I have no problem going the extra mile if needed but you have to be clear about what you want.
Here is a picture of the MAP sensor right in the way of the alternator. Remove the 8 mm bolt in the lower right of this picture and it will pull right off. You can leave the connector connected and just let it hang out of the way... the connector will be brittle.. no point in risking breaking it by trying to take it loose when its not needed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's out and at the shop being rebuilt. I didn't have to remove the map sensor. I just had to remove the upper radiator hose at the filler cap to make room for easer removal of the bottom bolt and alternator (turkey baster to suck out a little fluid). Yes I have a little knowledge but not enough. I hate doing things hit or miss or the wrong way. When someone asks how to do something it's because they don't know how to do the job. How many times have you had to ask for help when you had no idea what you were doing? That's why I have a membership with JustAnswer so I can do things right the first time. Bill
Glad you got it anyway. Sorry. I expected you would let me know what you were stuck on. Didnt realize you were having problems.. I must have missed your post.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You didn't miss anything. Are you sure you want me to rate you? I don't want to bring your average down.