Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

I have the same problem at this person, except we do have voltage

Customer Question

I have the same problem at this person, except we do have voltage to the new lift pump. again, a 99 dodge diesel 3500. the thing we are asking, this will be the 3rd time we need to replace the injector pump? had the problem at 120K replaced lift pump and injector pump only to have to do it again at 140K. now we have 158k and have the same problem again! will start cold, run all day. Shut off it will not start. A dodge mechanic friend told us it is the injector pump again! Could this be? what else could be causing the failure? We have done all of the checks you told this other customer to do. FYI our truck is a 98 1/2 first year of 24 valve.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you! Where are you getting these injection pumps from?
Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
corvel truck in Montville ct, they sold us the wrong one, only lasted a few months, and would not take it back. saw the sticker on the pump form a place in MA that builds them for corvel and got the next one from them.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
don't remember where the first one came from
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
could there be something in the truck causing them to fail?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
please call Ed(###) ###-####
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
I doubt there is something in the truck causing it to fail. The only thing that would do that is a bad lift pump. But you have replaced it. I only use remanufactured cummins pumps and only got a bad one once. I recommend replacing it with a OEM Cummins pump this time. I think that it will last much longer.
Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
please call my husband, Ed(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, got him to clarify. the first one we bought was from the dodge dealer, $1900. lasted 1 year.
After all of this back and forth about where we bought them. do you think it is the injector? have we even gotten to that question yet?
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
I have never seen an injector cause an injection pump failure. Only lack of fuel delivery to the pump.
Chris