Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

2005 Dodge Caravan: I have the classic symptom P0016 cam sensor

Customer Question
I have the classic symptom...
I have the classic symptom P0016 cam sensor crankshaft sensor issue. This problem (check engine light) occurred after going up a 10% grade over the course of several miles in high summer temps above 90 degrees. The temp guage on the 2005 dodge caravan with a 3.3 liter 6 started to rise. I pulled over and left the vehicle rest for 7-10 minute and continued once it cooled down. This is when the check engine lt came on. I continued to drive but could no longer approach 3500 RPM before stuttering and losing power at that rpm. The vehicle shifted fine below this rpm. My cruise control no longer worked as well after this. I stopped at an auto zone had the code checked and replaced the cam sensor and crank sensor. I reset the check engine lt by removing the pos battery cable for several minutes and continued on my way. I drove for several miles and problem was solved. Cruise control worked fine and I thought the problem was solved. I then returned from the test drive and the problem returned.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
I drove the vehicle for an additional 800 miles without any problems other than that I had to keep it under 3500 rpm. I had no other problems. My fuel mileage dropped from 20 to 17 mpg during this time.
7/29/2015
Dodge Mechanic: -Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech replied 2 years ago
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
I've seen this on several and it's most likely a cracked flywheel. It will crack in the center and to see if it;s cracked you will need to remove the dustshield and look for rust around and center and ting it with a hammer... If you had a timing belt engine I would suspect jumped timing but not on a 3.3, it's your flywheel.. In the end you will need to pull the transmission to get it fixed..
Why am I looking for rust? If so Where? Where would the crack be most obvious?
If it is the flywheel, is it pricey to have fixed? I don't need a detailed answer just an idea of cost if I choose not to repair it myself. Thanks
Is there a chance I installed the cam sensor incorrectly? It had a spacer attached to the end of it that comes off once the engine is started. The proper gap should then be set.
The crank sensor was much easier to install. I don't suspect an issue with it.
I would highly suspect th flywheel being cracked and the rust will be from the crack. It's just what I look for when we get a p0016 and the vehicle has been to 3 shops and had several crank cam sensors installed. It will be easier on a rack but you will need to remove the dustshield and sing it with a hammer and you should hear it. We charge 8 hrs which is around 850.00 just in labor plus parts. All you need to do is slide is back, replace flywheel and stick it back.
-Brad-
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech