sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Dodge ram 2500: I have a 2004 Dodge 2500 with a 5.9 cummins

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Dodge 2500 with a 5.9 cummins diesel and 48RE auto transmission. The truck has about 300K miles but I don't know if the engine ever work done to it. The transmission was just rebuilt. My truck runs good, gets great mileage and is very dependable. However, just recently and "only" when towing my equipment trailer with some additional weight (maybe 7,000 - 8,000 lbs total) have I noticed this "new" problem. When I'm going up a hill towing this weight ..... in either overdrive, tow mode or second gear ..... when the truck reaches a point where it's requiring more throttle to maintain or increase speed, the truck all of a sudden seems to immediately lose power, rapidly drops RPM, and start blowing black or sometimes white smoke. Very thick smoke. As soon as this happens, I let off the throttle and within a second the engine appears to re-engage, regain RPM, all smoke disappears, and it starts making power again and drives as expected. If I keep the throttle pressure reduced a bit it doesn't happen again. If I press the throttle harder it reoccurs .... but only during a fairly heavy hill climb and only with a heavy trailer load. At all other times and conditions the engine, trans appears to work perfectly. I suspected it was my transmission or torque converter slipping .... so after experiencing this a few times I had the transmission completely rebuilt. New clutches, rebuilt torque converter, shift kit and new billet accumulators. The rebuilt trans appears to be fine so I assumed I'd fixed the issue I'm discussing. I just took a*****towing my equipment trailer, on the way there with no equipment on the trailer, didn't experience this issue, on my way back with maybe 5,000 lbs of equipment plus the 4,500 weight of the trailer, experienced this issue several time going over two large groups of hills.
I'm assuming this isn't a trans issue ...... since the engines losing power and exhausts a ton of smoke for the short duration of these events. My truck never smokes any other times. One other thing ..... checked for codes and found none. Check engine light never lit either.
Any ideas on what I need to do to repair this?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
This is almost surely an injector issue. Black smoke and a lack of power could be caused by a turbo related issue but if you're seeing white smoke also that indicates a mechanical injector issue.
Are there any modifications to the engine?
Have you done an injector kill test when the problem is happening to see if the smoke would stop or lessen?