Jon
Jon, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge Tech
62301042

Dakota - 4.7 motor: when i took the bolts out of the timing

Customer Question

when i took the bolts out of the timing chain cover, I forgot to mark which bolts went where. So now I have 14 bolts of 3 different sizes and I don't know which goes where. i need a diagram that shows what size bolt goes where. I have the diagram that shows where the holes are, but ...I much as I have tried, I can't with certanty be sure I have it right.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** a Certified Auto Technician with 27+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.
Do you still need help with this concern?
If so, please post a reply and I'll be happy to help..
I will be researching this concern for you and will get back with you as soon as possible, Thanks for your patience while I gather the information needed for your answer. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Robert
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Have you been successful in installing at least some of the bolts? Basically it is fairly straight forward for the lengths of the bolts. There is NO factory diagram or picture that shows which bolts go in which holes. Basically, the bolts are in the correct holes when the bolt sticks out 3/4" to 1" of the hole BEFORE you begin screwing in the fasteners. There may be one bolt that includes a stud that is mounted to the very top...
______________________________________
If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask, I am happy to help as long as necessary to help solve your concern. Remember, a "Positive" Rating will not close this question, You can post a reply here whenever you want, even after rating my answer!
Thank you!
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The short bolts holes are easy, it is te mid size and long bolts that are the problem. none of the holes seem to take the long bolt, but...2 of them came with the kit so they go somewhere. There are 14 holes, 1 is a stud and I got all the short bolts. But the longs go somewhere.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
What kit did you purchase and install that came with these 2 long bolts?
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Hi, here is a picture of where the studs go if this helps. The rest of the bolts should stick out about the same before you tighten them. Just look at the thickness of the cover where the bolt hole is to help determine what length bolt goes into it. The shorter ones definitely go in the bottom.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Hi did that picture help you figure out where the bolts go?