Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

Dodge 1500 Sport: we just installed a rebuilt starter on a

Customer Question

we just installed a rebuilt starter on a 2001 dodge ram 1500 sport. when we tried to reconnect to the positive terminal on the battery, the starter's solenoid engages and begins to turn, even though the installation appears to be correct, no wires are touching, and the key is not in the ignition. what can we do to solve this perplexing problem. Jeff Stratton, Fairview, TN.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Jeff, my name is Ed. Welcome to JustAnswer!. Boy, there really isn't much that can go wrong here! That said... something is definitely wrong.I'd expect this to be a starter solenoid defect, something you can determine by just taking the small signal wire off at the starter. With no possibility of 12 volts being sent from the vehicle harness once that wire is pulled off, you'll know instantly whether the starter is going back to the store or not. If it still cranks with the solenoid signal wire disconnected and nothing touching the solenoid signal tab, the defect has to be inside the starter unit. Give it a try and let me know what happens. Talk in a bit,Ed