-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

Durango: How do you remove the screws from a Durango 2001 splash

Customer Question

How do you remove the screws from a Durango 2001 splash shield?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 years ago.
Are you trying to remove the wheel well splash shield?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes so I can replace my thermostat?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 years ago.
What engine do you have?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 years ago.
4.7?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 years ago.
REMOVALRemove the front wheel.Remove wheel opening molding.Remove plastic rivets attaching wheelhouse liner to wheelhouse.Separate liner from vehicle. REMOVALRemove the screws attaching the wheel opening molding to the fender.Separate the molding from the wheel opening.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 years ago.
THERMOSTAT REMOVALWARNING: DO NOT LOOSEN RADIATOR DRAINCOCK WITH SYSTEM HOT AND PRESSURIZED. SERIOUS BURNS FROM COOLANT CAN OCCUR.Do not waste reusable coolant. If solution is clean, drain coolant into a clean container for reuse.If thermostat is being replaced, be sure that replacement is specified thermostat for vehicle model and engine type.Disconnect negative battery cable at battery.Drain cooling system Raise vehicle on hoist.Remove splash shield.Remove lower radiator hose clamp and lower radiator hose at thermostat housing.Remove thermostat housing mounting bolts, thermostat housing and thermostat
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Remove plastic rivets attaching wheelhouse liner to wheelhouse. How How How IS MY ONLY QUESTION wasted hours trying today. Am ready to take to a mechanic HOW?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Remove splash shield. How is this done How do you know I do care about any other step How If you do know say I will move on. I know the other steps How to remove the studs?? Say you do not know. if that be the case.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 years ago.
So your stuck removing the rivets? You will need to drill them out..
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 years ago.
Drill the center and it will release.. It's easy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So was my question
Thanks ***** needed to know Need to drill all or half of them?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 years ago.
Well if it's a rivet and it needs to be removed to get the shield out then it will need to be drilled out. It will hollow the center and then you can remove it.. Your local parts store has a rivet kit to re-install them.. Glad I could help,Brad
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
will the drill fit in all spaces ???
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 years ago.
If you have the tire removed it should fit with no issues..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tire is off
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 years ago.
Do you still need assistance with this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did the thermostat job but the thermostat did not fit correctly. It is not working? How does the thermostat fit?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 years ago.
It will only go in 1 way and the seal has a notch so you can line it up correctly..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So there is a notch in the motor block and that is how I line it up? Notch with tab on hemostat . Pretty basic
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 years ago.
Yes correct.. Thank you for the positive rating..
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 years ago.
I see that this question is still open..
Do you need anymore assistance?