Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Dakota: Have coil arcing near lower mount on 96 Dakota 5.2

Customer Question
Have coil arcing near lower...
Have coil arcing near lower mount on 96 Dakota 5.2 4wd. Gives misfire code p0300 and p0307. How can I fix. Coil new ,plugs new,wires new. Has been driving me nuts trying to find problem.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
7/22/2015
Dodge Mechanic: Chris, Shop Foreman replied 2 years ago
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Hello and welcome to just answer. The coil is most likely cracked and secondary voltage is leaking out of the case and arcing to the mount. Replace the coil. That will fix it. Chris
That new coil must be defective.
That is the 2nd new coil,what are the odds on that ? 2 different brands from 2 different places. Are there any other possibilities?
Very strange. Where on the coil is the arc coming from? Chris
Looks to be the back side middle near split in mount that the screws go thru.
Where are you getting these coils? Chris
First one from napa, 2nd from rock auto.
Strange. before we go any further, try a factory Mopar coil from the dealer. Chris
OK but may have to wait until Saturday or Monday to get.
Ok, that's fine. Chris
Chris
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman