Ric
Ric, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase certified/certified chrysler/dodge specialist/30 years
31675116

Dodgr ram 2500 larimie: time to clean the egr and filter 2008

Customer Question

time to clean the egr and filter 2008 2500 cummins 6.7 115,000m comes up 2563 turbo charger position sensor circuit performance , reset the code now light is out bought truck with 99000 on it in august 14.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
can get a egr 6.7 cleaning kit $132.00 replacement turbo speed sensor if needed 189.00 on line ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what about dealer re flash on computer for upgrades.
Expert:  Ric replied 2 years ago.
Good afternoon... My name is ***** ***** i can help you with this....Has the turbocharger been cleaned lately?? If not try a cleaning first..This will clean built up soot and carbon from the sliding ring and the interior of the housing. The fault code you have is for the sensor on the side of the turbo that measures the travel of the sliding ring in the turbo. This sensor unfortunately is only available on a new turbo. Do a good turbo cleaning and then drive the truck aggressively using the exhaust brake.....This will also help break up and clean off built up soot and carbon from the slider. The dealers are constantly getting new software downloads for these trucks......I would check with them also for any updates....They should check this for free...Although the down load will cost $ usually 1.0 hour of shop time. Hint....If you can take your truck to a heavy truck repair shop that sells Cummins parts you usually can get a better deal on parts and repairs....Ric
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
turbo cleaning , t do not know if there is a cleaning port on the turbo would takeing the turbo off be easier than drilling out the turbo and using the plug as on the dodge fix? drill and labor to clean would be 2.5 hrs , removing the o2 sensors with no guarantee that it will work, they say a new turbo??$$$$$$$ can go to cummins might ask them ?
Expert:  Ric replied 2 years ago.
Thanx for the reply......Since you have cleared the code and it has not returned yet tells me that the drill and clean and driving the truck with the exhaust brake active more often will take care of your issue. It sounds like you are handy with some tools soo.....You can get the turbo cleaning and drilling tools on ebay and purchase the cleaning agent and plug from Dodge and do it yourself......Ric
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
well the thing is that i can not verify that the 67000 filter clean was preformed and i am going to do the filter change/egr clean paricilulate??filter clean and then try turbo clean(removal and clean)my self. might take a while
Expert:  Ric replied 2 years ago.
Good evening....If you can find the dealer that sold the truck they can run the VIN number and they can at least tell you about any warranty work that has been performed and possibly any maintenance performed. Dont forget to change the crankcase ventilation filter in the valve cover!!! After the cleaning be sure you drive your truck with the exhaust brake on more often....This will work that sliding ring to help keep it clean...Ric
Expert:  Ric replied 2 years ago.
Good evening.....Is there anything else i can help you with??
Expert:  Ric replied 2 years ago.
Good evening......If my assistance has been acceptable could you please rate my service....I will still check in on this thread to see if you need anything more....Thank you....Ric