Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Dakota: 2008 Dakota 3.7 no crank. I got this truck with the

Customer Question

2008 Dakota 3.7 no crank. I got this truck with the engine partly taken out due to throwing a rod. I have replaced the engine and am having a weird issue with the ignition. When I first turned the key over, the engine cranked but acted like the ground or power was loose and the started would just bump the engine over. Now the key won't crank the engine at all. All of the lights come on. I can't hear the fuel pump but that is secondary right now. The battery is brand new and fully charged. I have a remote start switch on the starter and it spins the engine freely but no fire, even with a shot of starting fluid. I need help figuring this out.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central. Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The only thing I can think to add is that I checked the yellow wire leading to the starter. There is a terminal by the power distribution center that I tool apart. I used my power probe and verified that there was no broken connection. But coming from the PDC, the wire was not showing power, even though I show power at the relay and it appears the relay is working properly.

I should also say that before I got the truck, it had set for over a year.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

A couple of things I had not noticed. There is no indicator inside to let me know what gear the truck is in. I can change into any gear, but nothing inside to indicate. And there is a large wire that I am assuming connects to the power outlet on the alternator??? There is already a connection there that runs to the battery but the other wire goes into a wire loom that connects to the computer at the passenger inner fender & cowl.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have a little more urgency than waiting until 3 for answer.

I have also checked the ASD relay. I will lift the truck and check the neutral safety switch. I cannot seem to find a listing for a TRS?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

...

I will request your post be canceled at your request.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you

Your welcome
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

this question is marked "answered". That is not the case and I want to be assured I am not paying for being answered.