Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Dodge ram 4.7: willing to have you try..2002 ram 4.7.. total

Customer Question

willing to have you try..2002 ram 4.7.. total rebuild..new everything..heads redone, magnafluxed, surgaced etc..runs fine, misses a little, but burning oil like crazy...2 quarts in 20 mins.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,Oil consumption like that on a newly rebuilt engine is unheard of.Did your shop assemble the engine?Are the rings on the right way facing up?I've seen engines assembled where one ring was not fitted to one cylinder, that's all you need for an oil burner.Have you done a leakdown test as yet?Gary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I assembled the engine and I did the Rings properly can you do a leak down test on a brand new engine it hasn't had time to seat it in yet
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,If the bore finish is correct for the ring material, the end gaps are within spec, and are correctly fitted, and the engine has seen some moderate load, the rings generally seat after a dozen full loadings at 30-50 mph in top gear. As it hasn't left your shop yet, but it has ran, I'd say you still do a leak down test, good cylinders may read in 5-10% zone, bad cylinders could be 30% and higher.Are the rods facing the correct way? Maybe the spit holes from the rods are squirting on the wrong side of the bore? If the leakdown test gives no clues , I'd lift the intake manifold off to see how much oil (if any) is in the intake ports. Does this engine have piston cooling squirters?Gary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes pistons are facing the right way and no it doesn't have squirters I will do a leak down test this weekend so if I have one of the Rings upside down it could cause this? Everybody makes mistakes and I know it has to be something drastic to be this bad
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,I feel bad for you, I know the feeling all too well.Yes, it will be something drastic.I hope the leakdown test reveals it for you.Let me know how you go.On a side note, a few years ago I built a Rover V8 with my Dad. The camshaft was sloppy in the block, the engine shop said that's how they are. I knew I was right. After 100kms, we pulled the engine out because it had near zero oil pressure at idle. Guess what, way too much camshaft bearing clearance, about 12 thou.Gary