Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

I have 97 Dodge Intrepid Sport Model with 3.5L engine. My problem

Customer Question

I have 97 Dodge Intrepid Sport Model with 3.5L engine. My problem began when I started the car it would only run for a couple seconds, then quit and when the ignition was off, the headlights would flash every couple seconds. The repair shop advised that the computer had to repaired, had this done. The shop advised me that the car was repaired and running fine. However, when I went to pick-up the car, mechanic started the car and it ran for a couple seconds and quit, as before the repair and the headlights flashed when the ignition was off. What is the problem and what needs to be repaired or replaced
Thanks, Wally
Category: Dodge
Expert:  JacobTD replied 2 years ago.
Faulty ignition switch. It should be replaced
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your answer, which is what thought might be the problem. However, the repair shop found the problem to be a disconnected wire. The car now starts properly and is running as it should. Following is the initial trouble report - "The scan computer system / trouble code P1697 found / perform trouble code diagnosis / PCM needs replacing- PCM is treating car as though it has a security system but it does not" I have a question in my mind as to whether replacement PCM was required?? However I am relieved that the car now is performing normally. I hope that my experpience has being of interest for you. I thank you for your input, which may be of import in the future. Cheers, Wally
Expert:  JacobTD replied 2 years ago.
Awesome im glad its fixed!