-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

Dakota: I have a 97 dakota and it turns over then stops then

Customer Question

I have a 97 dakota and it turns over then stops then turns then stops.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!!! My name is***** a 16 Yr Dodge dealership technician and I will be helping you with your question today...
Are you saying the starter will quit engaging then start again? When it quits are you losing the 12v to the starter solenoid? If you jump out the relay does it stay engaged? Is ignition switch sending a constant 12v to the relay?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If i jump the relay it turns over fine. But with a new relay it turns then stops
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 years ago.
Do you get a constant 12v to relay from ignition switch?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No only when the key is turned. Its as if i lift my foot as i crank it over, it turns over then stops, then i push on the clutch again and it turns over again. so its not a constant crank. ive put in a new starter and crank angle sensor. changed the relay and still does it un less i put a wire in place of the relay.
PS. Im a mechanic just havent seen this problem before.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 years ago.
Have you replaced the clutch pedal switch yet? Jump it out and see if your problem goes away..