b5demon
b5demon, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE and Chrysler master technician for over 17 years Sprinter and Viper specialist
13235514

SLE DODGE RAM 1500: Ok I have a Dodge Ram 1500 2012 oil pressure

Customer Question

Ok I have a Dodge Ram 1500 2012 oil pressure is at 45psi and as long as I'm driving at a steady speed it's ok but if I punch it to pass someone the oil pressure drops to 9 psi and it starts ticking I pull over and kill the engine start it back up 45 psi all is good as long as I don't punch it why would it get oil pressure back by stopping motor ?? If it was a pump or bearing problem it would be @zero all the time I get a code when it drops but clears on its own after restart last ?? Can the pcm stop oil from pumping to parts of the engine by using valves ?? That would explain it
Category: Dodge
Expert:  b5demon replied 2 years ago.
Hi Welcome to Just Answer! How many miles are on the truck?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
131,000 always had oil changed Mobil 1 Syn
Expert:  b5demon replied 2 years ago.
Ok it sounds like it may be an issue with the pick up for the pump. I have seen this happen before the pressure will be fine at low rpms but when the rpms increase not enough oil can get through the pick up to the pump and causes it to loose oil pressure
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm 400 miles from home in west Texas I put all the info in my first post with ?? I had the pump and pickup tube checked all was clean and working good I went through this the last time I'm just going to take it to the Dodge dealer in Lubbock in the morning thanks
Expert:  b5demon replied 2 years ago.
ok let me know if you need any more help
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Last thing after it drops pressure you can idle for a hour it won't come back up until you kill the motor and restart it then it's fine
Expert:  b5demon replied 2 years ago.
it may be the pressure relief valve on the pump then