Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

QUESTION}2007 Dodge 4.7 intermittent engine bucking any driving condi

Customer Question

{QUESTION}2007 Dodge 4.7 intermittent engine bucking any driving condition code p0300 , intermittent bucking mild to severe resolves quickly. I have a 2007 Dakota quad cab 4.7 E85 .But I run regular gas. I get intermittent bucking both mild or severe for a few seconds then drives ok. Pulled plugs and replaced, they were ok. New crank position sensor still gets the intermittent problem. Dodge wants to redo the heads but that doesnt make sense as the problem occurs off and on engine cold or warm. Occurs with trans out of OD,, so I dont think it is a lock up issue. Any ideas? This doesnt act like lack of fire to a few cylinders but missfiring or cross firing as it just isnt lack of power but bucking. remember this is intermittent! Thanks Chris
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central. Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Chris, this is an intermittent problem.It is at the 3rd shop right now. They will be checking on the problem. It seems that Just answers already debited my account the 24.00. if you think you may have an insight to this intermittent problem go ahead and respond. I have rebuilt cars but this computer controlled engine can be very problematic when a solid code is not set.
2007 Dodge dakota 82 k miles, 4.7 e85 engine running 90%gasoline,
Engines stumbles intermittently, sometimes badly, but resolves within a few seconds, some times sets a p0300 but never with a cylinder noted, code clears by itself. Isolated overdrive as a problem but driving in tow selection / overdrive lockout - would still stumble at times, can be warm or just warmed up - long or short trip. May be fairly consistent several times a day or nothing for a day or two. Began by being barely noticeable about a month ago, but on way to dealer the stumbling was stronger and more consistent occurred several times during the 25 mile interstate drive to the dealers shop both uphill and down.Changed plugs, they looked fine/ and crank sensor so far
Dodge dealer wanted to do head job because of low compression,,, only 20lb varience, I didnt agree so I took it to another shop.
That mechanic drove with his scanner attached - the car stumbled a few time over 50 miles of driving but didnt set a code or set info on the scanner. We tried the crank sensor as a guess but still stumbled once.
I drove it 20 miles to the current shop and no stumbling.
I know this is not an easy fix, we may have to wait until the component goes into a hard failure. It has become more noticeable so maybe it will finally become a hard failure. But I just dont see a head or gasket problem problem acting this inconsistently.
I was thinking a live call would be better as you could ask me some more questions, but that is up to you.Camshaft sensor is a possibility?
I agree I do not believe its the head. My suggestion is a power balance test via scan tool be ran while occurring to see which cylinders are contributing less. Once that is known then a lab scope is needed to check the spark and injector command to rule out the computer. Then monitor the cam and crnak sensor readings while driving to see if there is ever a hiccup form either. The last things I would do are monitor the EGR system to see if the issues is related to when the EGR opens and monitor the fuel pressure through the event. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Chris,
this sound like it should diagnose the offending component,,, I was thinking the cam sensor as we had tried the crank already,,, the problem is getting the event to happen without taking the shop time to drive till it happens and I feel it has to be under some load and not just fast idle,,, so thats a dyno,,,, harder to find in Chattanooga
I am not to far from you, just outside of Nashville.You may need to drive it and note the situation it occurs in, then find a way to make it occur each time in that scenario, that would shorten diagnostic time.